Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Arthritis suggestions, please >

Arthritis suggestions, please

Arthritis suggestions, please

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Contact the Arthritis Foundation for info. Also check with your doctor to determine what type you have.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM

There are medicines out there to help slow down the progression of arthritis. The meds have helped my hands, unfortunately not my toes as much. I also keep my hands busy all the time. A hot shower is always the best way to start my day. It loosens everything up and is very therapeutic.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Try finding some foam rubber "toys" that you can squeeze every day. Don't squeeze hard, but do keep the fingers moving. Also, there are some medicines, like Mobic (Meloxicam-generic) which are available. I am walking and quilting because I can take Meloxicam. Otherwise, I'd be in a wheelchair and unable to do anything. Not everyone can tolerate an NSAID, but maybe you can. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 AM

Good Morning: Tumeric and Garlic capsules one each two times a day seems to hep enormously.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 AM

I use a magnet that can be extended to pick up things from the floor
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 AM

I found that when symptoms of arthritis started, I started quilting less due to the pain. A few things that help: fabric die cutting machine (mine is a Sizzix Big Shot), a hand brace for my thumbs (I grip things on new angles, so less pain), and spring-loaded scissors.
I can easily give up a lot of things, but I won't give up my hobby!
I found several suggestions worth trying. I appreciate everyone's input.
Good luck!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 AM

I have osteo and rheumatoid arthur in my hands (all over actually). Here's what I have done. I have 2 polycarbonite middle joints in two of my fingers and that has helped immensely. The surgery, while creepy isn't bad and the pain is gone after just a few weeks. I did a lot of physical therapy and that helped the healing too. I do all the exercises listed above and soak my hands in hot water or use a heating pad as needed. Also I've found that the very best needles for me to use are from the thimblelady (look up on the web). They are super thin and strong and don't require much pressure to get through the fabric. She has a great book on hand quilting without pain. I use fiskars scissors that have a spring so you don't have to do all the work cutting fabric. Also you don't have to worry about getting a swollen thumb through regular scissors. Naturally I have to go slow and know when to quit if the pain gets too bad. It's so frustrating, but the quality of my quilting does suffer and dealing with that is difficult. I try to be as patient with myself as I am with others. Good luck! We just have to keep adapting as we go along. Hope these tips help.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 AM

My husband wears a copper ring and swears it helps.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 AM

I have arthritis in both hands for years. My exercise is typing. I was told root vegetables were the culpret of my pain so I only eat fresh fruits and the pain has subsided. I and Dr. agree on my diet. There is also a prescription for the pain. I use it seldom but I do use it in very small amts. I also pull weeds in my garden the exercise of pulling also helps to loosen up my hands. The typing loosens up my fingers so I can bend them. Doesn't need to be accurate typing.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 AM

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 13 years. Been on every medicine that has been created for it, including some very expensive and controversial biologics. (Embrel, Humira) Last August I cut out all grains and processed sugar. My joints improved immediately. The next step was to cut out high oxalate foods.

My personal belief is that our food stuffs have been adulterated (modified) to the point that they are no longer recognizable to our bodies as food/nutrition.

My RA is currently in "remission". I have lost 40 lbs and am able to do more now, at the age of 51 than I was able to do in my 30's when my health started to deteriorate. (Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and allergies to everything)

I do believe that all disease starts in the gut.