Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............ >

AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 AM

I cannot believe the nerve of some people! I am not brave enough to stand up for my rights often enough, but when I ask someone politely, and they refuse, I am appalled.
My Avatar is a quilt I made for a raffle, and I don't own the quilt, just the picture.
I like your elephants, and don't remember the other.
I do identify people by their avatars as well, but I relearn fast!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
ytq- I heard collecting elephant memorabilia is good luck- but their trunks have to be pointing up. Is this true?

What have you collected?
I don't know if collecting them is good luck, but if their trunks are up, it's supposed to bring good luck. I started out with a Momma and her baby, and she had her trunk wrapped around the baby. I wasn't planning on a collection, but y'all know how some things just get outta hand! I've been given so many really nice ones............lead crystal, porcilen,(SP) jade, myrtle wood, brass, ceramic; and all with their trunks in the air! I didn't even know what it meant at first. I finally said "ENOUGH" please!
YTQ
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 AM

I'd probably be miffed, but would urge you to keep the situation in perspective. We are a HUGE group of very different people and we are all going to behave differently in a variety of situations. You changed to a new avatar that is way COOL, and life goes on.

Smiles and quilty hugs :)
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 AM

I have to take the opposing view. Since you got it from a public website, you didn't create or purchase it, you don't own it. So it was perfectly all right for her or anyone (or everyone) else to use it, too.

It's nice to have an avatar that's uniquely yours. People have only to glance at it and they'll know you're the one posting.

But IMO, it's not a critical thing. I see nothing wrong with several people using the same avatar. Some message boards provide a set of avatars for people to choose from, so you see a lot of people with the same one. In those cases, it's not a unique identifier, but it still tells everyone something about that person's personality.

It's like women getting upset because someone else at the same party is wearing the same dress. Hey, if you got it off the rack, you have to expect that to happen.

You handled it graciously, asking her first, then accepting it (however unwillingly) and changing your picture. The new one is very sweet, but honestly, if you loved the old one, I see nothing wrong with using it just because someone else uses it, too.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:07 AM

I like mommy elephant and baby, makes me smile
Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 AM

Random remark about elephants - elephants, whales and humans are the only species in which the females go through menopause.

All this talk about avatars has made me realize it's time to go back to my original!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Now, I kind of feel guilty of changing my picture. Sorry I can't get a grip on that "A" word. But I love my pooch, should I put my picture of myself back up? It keeps mice away, that's about all the good it is.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

On a different forum that happened to me and it prompted me to use a personal picture that nobody else had access to. I wouldn't really give it much thought. Too much other stuff to worry about.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
Now, I kind of feel guilty of changing my picture. Sorry I can't get a grip on that "A" word. But I love my pooch, should I put my picture of myself back up? It keeps mice away, that's about all the good it is.
Why? If you want to look at your pooch, keep him! I tend to change mine as the mood strikes. Depends what I'm dreaming about or doing what I put up as my avatar. Sorry to the people I confuse by changing!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Sorry but I liked your smiley face :D