Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Avocados are so frustrating! >

Avocados are so frustrating!

Avocados are so frustrating!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
We have a tree. Hundreds of them some seasons! It took us a year to perfect the ripening. We don't use any bags, they just ripen on the counter.
We are lucky in California.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
We have a tree. Hundreds of them some seasons! It took us a year to perfect the ripening. We don't use any bags, they just ripen on the counter.
NO KIDDING
You have orange trees, too!
And calla lilies the size of plates.
Sigh.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 AM

I love avocados too. They are sometimes iffy to ripen, but when you get a good one, it's perfection! I like this color chart for choosing: http://www.theamazingavocado.com/tip...g-and-storing/

My grocery only recently started carrying ripe avocados. Before, you could only find rock hard, green ones and then you had to wait five days to eat it. I always wondered what they did with the ripened fruit.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 AM

hahaha... this reminds me of the time I read about burying unripe avocados in Flour. Did I put some flour into a paper bag? no. I put the avocado directly into my big tupperware (that holds a 5lbs) and returned said tupperware to my cupboard. Four months later... when I went to bake my Christmas Pies... "What is This???" The flour ripened it alright. hahahahaha.....
Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Ida

ditto. Avocado sandwiches, avocado dip, avocado in salad, eat like candy! Very expensive here. I hate it when I open and it is too ripe!
Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
I would so love to have an avocado tree! I could eat avocado every day and never grow tired of it.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
hahaha... this reminds me of the time I read about burying unripe avocados in Flour. Did I put some flour into a paper bag? no. I put the avocado directly into my big tupperware (that holds a 5lbs) and returned said tupperware to my cupboard. Four months later... when I went to bake my Christmas Pies... "What is This???" The flour ripened it alright. hahahahaha.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is really funny! Guess I won't be trying that method! :-)
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
NO KIDDING
Sigh.
Yup. Hubby spend most of the day yesterday making bottled, fresh squeezed OJ.

:thumbup:
Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM

NO KIDDING
Sigh.
And amazing roses and nice weather and the beach and mountains. I wanna be there!!! Arethe price of homes all as much as shown on HGTV when people are looking at homes to buy? Seems all homes (small ones) are at least 400,000 plus, usually much more. Wages can't be THAT much higher can they? In Ohio we can easily buy a very nice home for 200,000 and less.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by katied772
NO KIDDING
Sigh.
And amazing roses and nice weather and the beach and mountains. I wanna be there!!! Arethe price of homes all as much as shown on HGTV when people are looking at homes to buy? Seems all homes (small ones) are at least 400,000 plus, usually much more. Wages can't be THAT much higher can they? In Ohio we can easily buy a very nice home for 200,000 and less.
Although the market has dumped here in CA. It's still one of the more expensive states. But worth it! The house next to us just sold for $600,000 in a bad market.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by katied772
NO KIDDING
Sigh.
Although the market has dumped here in CA. It's still one of the more expensive states. But worth it! The house next to us just sold for $600,000 in a bad market.
Are the wages really high? Otherwise how can anyone afford it?