Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby shower questions

Baby shower questions

My sister and I are giving a baby shower for my DIL. It has been years since I have been to a baby shower. Years! Do they still play games? Do the ladies expect a thank you favor? If so, any ideas? We are having it in a small restaurant.
    It will be our first grandchild and I am so excited!
    Thanks!
    Laurel
    oneteapot/Laurel

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The ones I have seen of family and friends are where the roll of toilet paper or ribbon is unrolled to a guess amount of the mom's tummy at it's widest. Baby food taste test. BAby bingo. Depending on how many are going to be there. Since it's going to be at a small restaurant note that on the invites the importance of an RSVP. Couple friends had a formula taste test also. That could be kind of a long game though.

The last ones that I attended at a restaurant did not do games as space was limited. They did set out a stack of disposable diapers and Sharpie so the guests could write funny sayings on them like "This one's For You, Daddy"' etc.

The last baby shower I attended in a restaurant had only one game - guess the baby's name. Had to wait for the baby to be born to find out the winner, announced on Facebook. I did get a favor, a small scrubbie made from nylon net, blue for the sex of the baby. That was really enough. By the time we ate, visited, and watched the mom-to-be open the gifts, we were ready to go home.

I agree games in a Resturant can be difficult but a round or two of baby bingo wouldn't be out of the question

You can check pintrest baby shower pins and get tons of games
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    and yes, a small thank you gift was given out. also a bit bigger gift was given for the games that we played. baby bingo was a big one everyone liked. search the internet for good thankyou gifts.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I think in a restaurant setting the games might be a bit much. Favors for guests are definitely the norm these days.

For fun you could do plain white baby t-shirts and have some fabric paints available for guests to write their thoughts to the new mom. For one SIL, we used decorations/paper goods with baby hands as the theme. Favors were home made decorated sugar cookies in small hand shapes placed in celophane baggies available at craft stores. I've received small candles in pink/blue (if gender known) and a couple of candies; small decorative soaps.

Don't make yourself crazy and enjoy being Grandmom! And not trying to pat myself on the back...but made it a point to have special grandmom favors of 'grandmom' picture frames or the like for the grandmom's attending....especially for those first time grandmoms (although even the ones that have several grands liked the grandmom gifts as well).

I assume that you are picking up the check for the restaurant. My 2 cents, visit with your guests and keep it simple. Games in a restaurant? That could be annoying to surrounding tables unless you have a private room. Plus, you are taking up table space and time. Please be generous in tipping the waitstaff. You are, in a sense, renting their space. I, personally, hate games. But I have endured too many showers over the years. I prefer to visit and enjoy the company of my guests. I never expect a "party favor" but I don't want any more stuff. I don't even care about attendance prizes at Guild unless it is a good one!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I think in a restaurant setting the games might be a bit much. Favors for guests are definitely the norm these days.

For fun you could do plain white baby t-shirts and have some fabric paints available for guests to write their thoughts to the new mom. For one SIL, we used decorations/paper goods with baby hands as the theme. Favors were home made decorated sugar cookies in small hand shapes placed in celophane baggies available at craft stores. I've received small candles in pink/blue (if gender known) and a couple of candies; small decorative soaps.

Don't make yourself crazy and enjoy being Grandmom! And not trying to pat myself on the back...but made it a point to have special grandmom favors of 'grandmom' picture frames or the like for the grandmom's attending....especially for those first time grandmoms (although even the ones that have several grands liked the grandmom gifts as well).
    One Shower I attended had the Cut out Sugar Cookies in the Foot print frosted in multi colors of pastels - Parents didn't know the sex of the Baby and wanted to be surprised... Most babies wear the same things anyways- Diapers and onesies or the undershirts, gowns and 1 piece items for a while anyways.. The invites were folded like a Receiving Blanket... and 1 of the games was to guess how many Diaper Pins were in the Baby Bottle... and wearing big men's work gloves trying to diaper a babyDoll in a Real Diaper using Diaper pins.( it was timed ) . Everyone had a Great time.. Mini Cupcakes with Pastel Frostings too..
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Blog Entries
    I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE games at any kind of shower. Much rather just visit and watch the honoree open gifts.
    TwandasMom

When my daughter had a baby shower, she placed little baby dolls some with blue on them and the others pink, they were then placed and frozen into ice cubes. The game was to select an ice cube and hold it in your hand to see if it was a boy or girl which thawed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    I assume that you are picking up the check for the restaurant.
    Reminds me of years ago when a friend attended a baby shower at a restaurant -- and the hostess didn't pick up the check, and of course didn't convey that beforehand. As I recall, she also never received a thank you note for her gift. Que sera sera!

Things have changed.I rather not attend a baby shower,dislike games and then having to sit while all the gifts are opened,but I will attend the baby shower coming up this Sat. which is called a Celebration.No gifts required (made quilt already because I wanted too) All friends and family invited.
    Mary

Yes, I am paying for everyone's meal. I have decided not to play games. Too crowded! LOL! Just visiting with everyone will be great. Still haven't decided on a thank you favor. And I have requested our favorite waitresses so they will be well compensated. They are the best and super friendly and helpful! I think we will have a great time. I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and ideas. Any thank you favor ideas?
    oneteapot/Laurel

Check out this site www.cornerstorkbabygifts.com

And go to the baby shower favors section Tons of cute affordable gifts
    Last edited by Billi; 01-08-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Link fix
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

At a recent baby shower in my family room, there were games. However, the one that got the most laughs was....We were all given a ribbon to pin on r blouses. If anyone crossed their legs and another person noticed them, they asked for their ribbon. At the end, my young niece ended up with every single ribbon. Now, in a restaurant the leg crossing might be difficult to observe, but pick something that women do unconsciously...like play with their hair, or touch an earring or pull at their bra straps....might prove kind of funny!!!

We gave out little hand sanitizers and lip balm, we got them at Bath and Body works, they look like little trial size for your purse and come in a bunch of scents. We put them in small plastic glasses from the dollar store and wrapped the glass in cellophane and tied it with inexpensive ribbon. You could use little boxes or whatever you can find thats inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by oneteappot View Post
    My sister and I are giving a baby shower for my DIL. It has been years since I have been to a baby shower. Years! Do they still play games? Do the ladies expect a thank you favor? If so, any ideas? We are having it in a small restaurant.
    It will be our first grandchild and I am so excited!
    Thanks!
    Laurel
    I and a coworker of my daughter's, threw my daughter a shower several months ago. It was at my home, so the things we did (decorated bibs and onesies and made headbands) really wouldn't work for you. I handed out pink nail polish wrapped in pink mesh as favors. A really quick "game" is to guess the girth of mom-to-be's tummy. Fast to do and doesn't take a lot of prep. Have fun!

For my daughter's shower we did play games. Questions though.....everyone had a piece of paper numbered 1 - 10....or how ever many questions. What was Jenny's favorite book, song, who was her first boyfriend, what was her favorite zoo animal, how much did she weigh so on and so forth, and some of the questions were about the dad too.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

This goes way way back..... Everyone chose a mini diaper with a safety pin. The ones that had a mini-shot of 'mustard' after unpinning the diaper were the winners. Are ya sorry you asked? I'm sorry I answered......

Another fun game is to put many baby related items on a tray. Like rattles, baby pins, barrets, socks, etc. hen have the mother to be carry around the tray to let everyone to let everyone study what is on it. Then have the Mother to be take the tray in the restroom & stay in there. Now comes the fun part to see the look on every ones face when you ask them about the mother to be & not the items on the tray. Like was her shoes open toed or not, flats or heals, & or the color, Hair up or down, color of lipstick if wearing any, dress or skirt, etc.

I did three baby showers two years ago.

Small party favors which was a small clear plastic bags, filled it with MMs, and made paper tops, folded over, punched two holes and used bakers twine to tie them (you can kind of see them in the background of the picture).

For a center piece on one - I used diapers (unscented) and two different size of cake tins and made a diaper cake (see picture). You can find the instructions on the web. The diapers then can be used since they are just tied with string underneath the ribbon.

Another center piece was masion jars with raffia tied on the outside filled with fresh flowers.

I did not do any games at any of the showers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuzyM; 01-09-2015 at 08:37 PM.

I agree with misseva. No gmes just chat with others and pass the gifts around so everyone attending can see what the honoree received.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

We played a few games ( it was held in a fire station) but what really was funny, were the fact that the 4 girls that all were close friends, lined up for pictures, These girls were all having their first baby, and they laughed at my gift. I work in a store that sold diapers, so every time they were on sale and I used coupons, I would buy some. Well by the time of the baby shower I had a baby bed full of diapers and they all though they wouldn`t need that many for one child. When the baby was 9 mo. old my daughter called me and said she ran out of diapers and we all laughed!

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE games at any kind of shower. Much rather just visit and watch the honoree open gifts.
    I used to feel this way too, but after going to a couple showers, one bridal, one baby, I've changed my mind. Here is the experience we had at my DIL's baby shower: aunts, and cousins from both sides of the families, mine and my DH, were invited. My extended family doesn't really know my DH's extended family, and vice versa. There were no games. Everyone sat around somewhat awkwardly, the hostesses brought the gifts to my DIL and she opened them, and exclaimed over each one. Very little back and forth conversation. My DIL told me later she was kind of uncomfortable with all the attention, all the time. By the way, she did send thank you notes within a week of the shower. A game or 2 would've been an ice breaker. At my niece's bridal shower, the guests were a mix of family and friends, not everyone knew each other. We played a couple silly games, had some laughs, everyone relaxed.