Background music on tv...

Old 01-16-2016, 05:27 AM

Well I'm so glad others feel the same way about this background music/canned laughter.......sometimes when I get annoyed about something I begin to think maybe it's just me getting persnickety in my old age...but not this with this one anyway......
hmm, wonder what will bug me today!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM

Great idea. Never thought of using closed captioning. My ear Doc said not being able to understand words is the first normal hearing problem. Boy am I normal!!
Old 01-16-2016, 11:02 AM

Recently I've started to complain how loud the fan noise was on some football games on tv. My husband replied he doesn't know why "they" have to do that, and turned down the tv. Mostly I just don't watch anymore - I'll go to my sewing room!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have hearing issues (have been tested and have hearing aids) so some of the speech tones are not clear to me, added with the music is very hard to make out dialogue. We have taken to leaving the closed captioning on and lowering the volume. It seems to work for both of us.
I'm like you and you have to adjust the tones for each channel and then it goes to a commercial and it'll get really loud. I got a sound bar this year because my new smart TV the sound isn't as loud as the older TV's and I wasn't the only one who had a hard time hearing it. Sometimes it's worse with the hearing aids.

Also, I hate that some of the channels are so dark you have a hard time seeing what's going on. This is mostly on crime shows but still, if I'm watching it I want to see it not shadows
Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 AM

Commercials are the worst, the mute button is our best friend. The background music as well as other noises are insanely over done. Even with surround sound it is hard to hear what the actors are saying. There are times when we have to rewind a scene just to understand what is being said.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 AM

As my mother lost some of her hearing, she complained of the background music, saying she couldn't hear the words. I, too, am beginning to be annoyed at the music in the background. I am having trouble hearing the difference in sounds of similar sounding letters, for instance b, v, d, t, and others.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mae Adkins View Post
We had the same problem with our new smart tv. Finally went into to options and turned the surround sound option off and fixed the problem. We did not have an addition surround sound equipment so now you can actually hear what is being said.
!!!

Thank you!!!!!! I went into the menu on the tv and changed it from movie to clarity. It definitely made a difference. I hate going to the movies with DH because all you hear it the loud background music.