Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Background music on tv...

Background music on tv...

Is turning into an annoyance to me. Am now watching blacklist and the music is loud, can't hear some of the dialog. The more dramatic the scene, the heavier the music....noticed it the other night too watching something else.....now along with annoying music at some fast food places and JAF, and of course on hold on the phone, now it has invaded my house thru the tv...the next time I have a serious conversation with someone, I'm going to listen for background music....

So I am not the only person who feels that background music is way to loud. I have sent emails to the TV shows complaining. If more people did that, perhaps the producers would listen to us. I have told them that I do not think anyone is viewing a final copy of the show before it is put on the air - because if they had they would fix the problem so that we could actually enjoy not having to lip read (which I am not very good at) to try and figure out what the actors are saying. Why do they even have to have any background music!! I think we are quite capable of figuring out when there is a dramatic moment in the program without any background music. Please join me in sending emails to the producers to complain about loud background music !!!

Agree! It's been that way for over a year now. What a pia.

How much I enjoy the Larry Levinson productions. Great quality movies but after a long session of them that tinkle background music gets on my nerves. It has no real meaning to the scene. It's filler. Just seems to be a signature of his productions but after awhile it's annoying.

I have hearing issues (have been tested and have hearing aids) so some of the speech tones are not clear to me, added with the music is very hard to make out dialogue. We have taken to leaving the closed captioning on and lowering the volume. It seems to work for both of us.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    This drives me crazy too = and it seems the commercials are louder again, they had toned that down for awhile. A little off the subject, the 'canned laughter' on the sitcoms. Come on now - don't we know when to laugh? The successful ones do not have this. I think that is why many new ones do not make it.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I too have problems like this especially with the Hallmark channel. I watched an episode I missed however on my laptop with ear buds so as to not disturb others and it was a whole different experience. The music was more in the background and dialogue was easier to hear. I wonder if it isn't the speakers on the TV that are not stereo enough or something. I have a relatively new TV but just use the speakers that came on the TV. It appears that they calibrate the sound for a more sophisticated sound system than many of us have.

We had the same problem with our new smart tv. Finally went into to options and turned the surround sound option off and fixed the problem. We did not have an addition surround sound equipment so now you can actually hear what is being said.
    Love to hear from other quilters and about favorite pojects. I like to try all different techniques.

I, too, have become annoyed with loud music drowning out the conversation. I though it was just me!

My tv has the sound options. It's worth buying a new tv just for that.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

We had the same problem. Noticed it really bad on NCIS, so my husband sent an email to CBS and they suggested to check our TV to make sure the surround sound is not on. He checked and it was on. So, he turned the surround sound off and solved our problem. Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Apparently it is not just us older people this bothers. A friend of mine has a 12 yo daughter that has taken to using the close caption instead of the volume. He took her in and there is nothing wrong with her hearing. She says the noise in the back ground makes it hard to hear the show. I tried watching her vampire show just to see what the big attraction is and after 15 minutes I turned it off-it gave me a headache from straining to hear the words.

Blog Entries
    and what's even worse is the laugh tracks. they too seem to get louder. I know when to laugh, I don't need the tv telling me when to laugh. How stupid do you have to be not to know that. The background music is terrible. I agree how it get louder. it's terrible, I thought my hearing was going.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think that may be why I've become so bored with tv. Hate having to strain to listen to the script because of the background music.

Quote Originally Posted by C M K View Post
    We had the same problem. Noticed it really bad on NCIS, so my husband sent an email to CBS and they suggested to check our TV to make sure the surround sound is not on. He checked and it was on. So, he turned the surround sound off and solved our problem. Hope this helps!
    I've noticed this on NCIS, too, so I'm off to check my TV settings. Thanks!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    yes, it is irritating. I always wondered when the awards for movies comes out, the sound on some win and that's the one where the music is much too loud. you can't hear the actors! go figure!

My DH just bought a new 60 inch "Smart" TV in October. He got a fantastic deal on it - when he first turned it on, we thought the sound was horrible, the speakers on the TV just were bad, as he read the directions the TV was made to have additional speakers. Now that is not a problem for us, he has the full surround sound system with sub woofer, etc and so the TV speaker is not used. But I wonder if that is why it was such a deal - you have to buy speakers to go with the TV. I hope this is not a trend because I do not want to have to buy speakers for tv's I have in other rooms when they will need to be replaced.

I also have noticed that commercials are getting louder. Such an inconvenience to go looking for the remote to hit the mute button. Find that I am watching more TV on Demand then when shown live on the channel.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    My DH just bought a new 60 inch "Smart" TV in October. He got a fantastic deal on it - when he first turned it on, we thought the sound was horrible, the speakers on the TV just were bad, as he read the directions the TV was made to have additional speakers. Now that is not a problem for us, he has the full surround sound system with sub woofer, etc and so the TV speaker is not used. But I wonder if that is why it was such a deal - you have to buy speakers to go with the TV. I hope this is not a trend because I do not want to have to buy speakers for tv's I have in other rooms when they will need to be replaced.
    We bought a new flat screen TV a few years ago & could not hear the sound/voices, even when it was maxed. We had to buy a sound system & fiddle with it to get the sound right, more like our old TV. Even then we also get some channels where the background music is too loud. I so hate this new tech stuff. Digital is not kind to ears/hearing. Give me the old analog back any day.

That's interesting about the surround sound. I remember my husband turning that on once and it made some of the backgrounds sounds so loud the dogs barked! I made him turn it off and I guess it's never gotten turned back on so we're not having that problem.

I also have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. When there is too much background its extemely hard for me to hear the dialog. I've just realized that I've had some problems hearing the TV in my sewing room. I may have to check the settings this evening. I might be able to do something about it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Well I'm so glad others feel the same way about this background music/canned laughter.......sometimes when I get annoyed about something I begin to think maybe it's just me getting persnickety in my old age...but not this with this one anyway......
    hmm, wonder what will bug me today!

Great idea. Never thought of using closed captioning. My ear Doc said not being able to understand words is the first normal hearing problem. Boy am I normal!!

Recently I've started to complain how loud the fan noise was on some football games on tv. My husband replied he doesn't know why "they" have to do that, and turned down the tv. Mostly I just don't watch anymore - I'll go to my sewing room!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I have hearing issues (have been tested and have hearing aids) so some of the speech tones are not clear to me, added with the music is very hard to make out dialogue. We have taken to leaving the closed captioning on and lowering the volume. It seems to work for both of us.
    I'm like you and you have to adjust the tones for each channel and then it goes to a commercial and it'll get really loud. I got a sound bar this year because my new smart TV the sound isn't as loud as the older TV's and I wasn't the only one who had a hard time hearing it. Sometimes it's worse with the hearing aids.

Also, I hate that some of the channels are so dark you have a hard time seeing what's going on. This is mostly on crime shows but still, if I'm watching it I want to see it not shadows
    Judy

Commercials are the worst, the mute button is our best friend. The background music as well as other noises are insanely over done. Even with surround sound it is hard to hear what the actors are saying. There are times when we have to rewind a scene just to understand what is being said.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast