Ball of foil in dryer?

Old 08-31-2019, 05:05 PM

I bought some of the wool dryer balls at Walmart and they are working fairly well so far. You can add a drop or two of essential oils (like lavender, peppermint etc.) to the wool balls for a fresh smell.
Would like to know how to make the wool balls and where do you get felted wool? Also what are sponge dryer pops?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:25 AM

I've been using wool drier balls since this thread (about a month or so) and am happy with the results.

I don't like using anything scented but I do like prewashing my fabric, which I prefer to mix in with my regular laundry. I feel the yardage comes out in better shape and requires less ironing, as do the clothes. I don't have any statistics and maybe I'm happy because I'm watching the laundry like a hawk and it isn't the drier balls -- but there have been no problems because of the drier balls. I think there is a benefit and as someone who is bothered by many chemical scents, that's a good thing.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Heard of it but never tried it. A couple of my kids use the drier balls, not impressed. I prefer liquid fabric softener but will use dryer sheets.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 PM

After I got my new dryer, I found I no longer need to put in the dryer sheets to keep the static down. I use to have horrible static problems, so bad that if I forgot to put a dryer sheet in, I'd add a damp towel and a dryer sheet and run it again. I don't put anything special in the wash, just the same liquid soap I've used for ages.

I've had the machines for a couple of years now, so have been through all the seasons with it.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:09 AM

Another update on me and my wool dryer balls -- I really do love them for drying yardage. Been doing a lot of prewashing lately and load after load, it's better when it comes out of the dryer with those dryer balls.

Typically I was a couple of pieces of yardage in with my regular color sorted loads and it isn't too bad, but I've had a lot of mostly yardage of various sizes washes. Sure, there is still some tangling to deal with, but much less than it used to be (like 50-75% less). Since I use a range of fabrics of different vintages, it isn't the fabric -- must be the dryer balls!
Old 10-24-2019, 03:05 PM

I made my wool dryer balls from scrap wool yarn. You just wind up a ball to right size and drop it in the leg of a pantyhose and then tie a knot and drop another one in until you fill up the leg. I washed them in the washer and laid them outside to dry. The wool felted nicely and has not unraveled. You can quite often buy wool yarn cheap at the 2nd hand stores. Don't use washable yarn as it will not felt.