Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bathroom storage

Bathroom storage

I need some help. I have shelves at the end of my tub and I'm looking for storage containers for the inside. The problem I'm having is the size. The size is 6" wide, 6"high and 14"deep. I love the baskets at JoAnns but they don't come in the right size. I have ice cube bins in there now but oh so tacky! I've looked on line for instructions to make them but can't find what I'm looking for. I don't want fabric boxes because that isn't sturdy enough. I've looked at JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, Walmart and online. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Have you thought of making fabric boxes or covering the ice cube bins???
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

The size you want is very close to containers made for CD storage. Found a basket at Ikea that was 15" long but for sale at stores only, not online.

Blog Entries
    You might want to check the Container Store. They seem to have every size and type of bin imaginable. I found these that might work for you:
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...&Ntt=6%22+bins

Not sure of the size but plastic 'shoe box' containers? Usually a whole $1 each most days at just about anywhere. They are stackable; can label them; easily cleaned.

Power Poster
    Nothing wrong with ice cbe bins. If you have a lot of them, they will look intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Have you thought of making fabric boxes or covering the ice cube bins???
    My first thought too was to make the ice cube bins look cute! Also may want to check places like dollar tree, big lots, dollar stores for odd size containers, baskets, etc.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Yep, just measure or make your own with slats from the home improvement store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    My first thought too was to make the ice cube bins look cute! Also may want to check places like dollar tree, big lots, dollar stores for odd size containers, baskets, etc.

I can't use fabric bins. I need something more sturdy. But thanks.

I tried that but they're too wide

The closest I could find was just 1/2" too wide

I've tried the Dollar store and Big Lots but no luck

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mimmis57;7228472]I need some help. I have shelves at the end of my tub and I'm looking for storage containers for the inside. The problem I'm having is the size. The size is 6" wide, 6"high and 14"deep. I love the baskets at JoAnns but they don't come in the right size. I have ice cube bins in there now but oh so tacky! I've looked on line for instructions to make them but can't find what I'm looking for. I don't want fabric boxes because that isn't sturdy enough. I've looked at JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, Walmart and online. Any ideas? Thanks all.[/QUOTE

The Goodwill near me as an assortment of new plastic containers, that might help you....
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Could you cover cardboard boxes with fabric? They would be sturdier than the fabric ones and could match your decor.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I was at a rest. Supply store and they might have what you need.
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    These medium open stacking bins might work for you (6" square by 5" high):
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...6%22+wide+bins

They sell pretty good plastic spraypaint these days. If your ice cube bins are working except they just look out of place, maybe you can make some stencils and do some creative painting on your ice cube bins to jazz them up? Add some decals, maybe, if you find something that goes with your bathroom decor?

this might work for you

Quote Originally Posted by Mimmis57 View Post
    I need some help. I have shelves at the end of my tub and I'm looking for storage containers for the inside. The problem I'm having is the size. The size is 6" wide, 6"high and 14"deep. I love the baskets at JoAnns but they don't come in the right size. I have ice cube bins in there now but oh so tacky! I've looked on line for instructions to make them but can't find what I'm looking for. I don't want fabric boxes because that isn't sturdy enough. I've looked at JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, Walmart and online. Any ideas? Thanks all.
    I use the wire desk accessories from Staples. The pictured one is 6"w 13" long and 3" deep. It might work for you. I also use the letter holder accessory for holding smaller templates on my cutting table, and the magazine holder as a holder for some special fabric selection, such a coffee theme or maritime. They will stack and are very sturdy. Showing is how I store some of my...vast....fat quarter collections.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.