Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bear trouble

Blog Entries
    Sometime this afternoon we know a bear wanted our trash in the dumbster,trash everywhere.We expect the pest to be back sometime tonight.We take the car key's to the bedroom with us,if we hear the dumpster move we set off the car alarm.Connie in CO

Glad we don't have a lot of bears. Squirrels aren't that bad.

Blog Entries
    I hate those ground squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    Glad we don't have a lot of bears. Squirrels aren't that bad.
    Squirrels are a pain in the a**. Mama squirrel ate through the aluminum between my porch ceiling & the roof. Got her out, had the roof, etc repaired last year. She's back again & this time chewed through the aluminum & shingles to get in there. So will need to be repaired again--to the tune of $350 or more. Don't know what can be put over the hole that she won't chew through.
    Saw the dang squirrel sitting on the roof & I swear it was laughing at me.
    :lol: :roll: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Well,call the critter gitter.

Blog Entries
    I can tolerate the bears. I intensely dislike the squirrels. Winter is a contest to see if I can outsmart them so I can feed the birds. Summer, they dig up my impatiens. I know they sit in the tree and laugh at me. Three years ago, on attacked my dog and me when we were biking (I was biking, Lily was running). I went airborne over the handlebars and landed on my wrist, knee and face. Lily has a damaged trachea. I do not like squirrels!

Blog Entries
    Sorry to say,my husband shoots them.

I live in Colorado too, the squirrels are everywhere here!!
    they don't really bother me, and I have alot in my backyard.
    What concerns me is the fox we had living in our backyard and had babies. I was hoping and praying the mama fox would not eat my little Mattie (a laso apso). We also get racoons every other year

Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Sorry to say,my husband shoots them.
    I don't blame him after the danged squirrels I have between the porch ceiling & the roof.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Sometime this afternoon we know a bear wanted our trash in the dumbster,trash everywhere.We expect the pest to be back sometime tonight.We take the car key's to the bedroom with us,if we hear the dumpster move we set off the car alarm.Connie in CO
    Smart idea!!!

The squirrels in our pecan tree throw pecans at us when we come and go. I've had cats that like to hunt them and have seen squirrels knock them out of a tree. no exaggeration!

Thank goodness I don't have bears but I do have the pesky squirrels.

The racoons get into everything here.

last summer we had a racoon give birth to 5 babies under our back porch we only knew because mum got so hungery she came to us for food all summer we fed her and her babies the mum left and 3 babies came back for awhile eventually they all left it was great to see them grow

Blog Entries
    Wow, way to ruin a nights sleep

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Squirrels are a pain in the rear and can chew into anything, however, bears can eat you. I'll take my pesky squirrels over bears any day of the week!

Blog Entries
    oh my bears

Our place up north has black bears. I had hung wash up on the line.Thank goodness no quilts at this time. I could not fine my camera. Year old bear tore off all the wash from the line and made a pile and I found him lying on top of the pile having a gay old time. Had to do the wash all over again.GRRRRRRRRRRR!

This is where I hang the wash
    Name:  Attachment-222193.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  93.9 KB

Blog Entries
    My goodness i wish i could have a nice place outside like you do Babycakes.No bear last night.Connie in CO

I have both - the ground squirrels are very destructive - the bears too - when my fruit tress ripen - they climb up in them and break the limbs - I don't mind them cleaning up what fell on the ground but I don't like them crawling up in the trees. I found that pounding some skillets together scares the bejeesus out of the bears - at least so far.

Our problem this year is the chipmunk! Cute little things but they have eaten the plastic off of my new squirrel proof bird feeder! Then there are the bunnies - holy moly we have a huge group eating our flowers and bulbs... then the deer. Well, tick ridden, hosta eating adolescent duo that are looking real good for thanksgiving dinner! But no bears this year... not in our yard anyway. They got my neighbor's feeders earlier this Spring.

Blog Entries
    Car alarm is a clever way to deter them from going through the garbage. This is a great tip for those of us that might camp where there are bears. Thank you for sharing and good luck with moving the bear on.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyCakes
    Our place up north has black bears. I had hung wash up on the line.Thank goodness no quilts at this time. I could not fine my camera. Year old bear tore off all the wash from the line and made a pile and I found him lying on top of the pile having a gay old time. Had to do the wash all over again.GRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Cute!!

We had bears last year. One went through the neighbors kitchen window. Fish and Game came out, lectured everyone about leaving the garbage out, feeding the birds etc, then set a trap in our driveway. After three days I put some Alaska fish fertilizer as bait in the trap and the next morning he was in there banging around. They relocated him to the higher mtns. Now I put bleach in the big garbage can outside. So far no more problems.

The squirrels I have are small and thin they only get the acorns from the oak trees but they make tinny holes in the yard digging for tha acorns every now and then a grey fox runs buy, possums and armadillos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast