Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The beautiful state of Montana! >

The beautiful state of Montana!

The beautiful state of Montana!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
....Do watch for bears...they are there and they're plentiful...
momto5,
Funny you mention bears, we are staying in a secluded cabin, in both areas we're going to, and was specifically told by one of the landlords to buy/bring BEAR spray. REALLY??? Guess I can't wrap my pea brain around HOW bear spray is going to help me out if I am unfortunate enough to personally encounter a bear!! I'm starting to think I should not leave the cabin.

Oh, and as of right now, the Road to Sun (I think) is still closed for snow plowing and repairs. Definitely bad planning on my part!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 AM

there are some very nice quilt shops in that area I have a list and there are 2 in Kalispel 1 in Seeley Lake 1 in whitefish 1 in Polson 1 in Plains and one in Thompson Falls these are the only ones that were involved with the quilt shop hop so there may be others I do not live there but have been there many times and I love the shop in Whitfish
Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 AM

If you are in Twin Bridges, I would recommend spending a day in Virginia City and Nevada City. Nevada City is a restored frontier town. You can also pan for garnets - my kids loved that! If you can spend an evening there, the Virginia City Players have a show that is well worth watching. If you like theatre, the Big Fork Summer Theatre also has some great shows. I'm just not sure when they start, but I think it will be Memorial Day. You will also be fairly close to Lewis & Clark Caverns. Yes, Western Montana is beautiful, but Eastern Montana has its own beauty! Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 AM

If you happen to be going to Yellowstone National Park...use Beartooth Highway between Red Lodge and Yellowstone.
http://www.beartoothhighway.com/wildRoad/index.html
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 AM

I am blessed to live in the beautiful state of Montana. We just finished our statewide shop hop. Here is the web site w/a list of all the shops, http://www.bigskyshophop.com/. Hope you have a wonderful trip. All the sites people have mentioned are beautiful. We also enjoy going to Gem Mountain in Phillipsburg to find sapphires.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM

I wanna go! Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Montana is BEAUTIFUL! Go to Seeley Lake if possible there is a great quilt store there. Also if you get south to the Bitterroot Valley there is a wonderful quilt store in Hamilton called Patchwork Quilts. ( Patches) In Missoula there is Timeless Treasures and Quilters Quarry also Julies down Under. Sorry I don't know about quilt stores near Glacier Park.
Big Fork Bay Trading Company is great. Enjoy tour trip,
Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM

I lived in Montana for years and loved it. There is a small church off the highway between Missoula and Kalispel that has paintings on the ceiling done by a priest who lived there years ago. It is quite unique and I think you would enjoy it.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
Since you obviously will be in the area anyway, you must go to Big Fork. Yes, they have several quilt shops there. The downtown area is very nice with a sculpter that will knock your socks off!The area is full of artists of one kind or another. Have a WONDERFUL trip!
The best shop in Big Fork has closed it's doors ! Seeley Lake has Deer Country Quilts. great inspirations. Glacier Quilts & Quilt Gallery in Kalispell. best in Missoula is Vicky's Down Under Quilts (corner of South & Reserve by Rosauers food)
right as you are going through town to hit I90. easy on/off.
Sorry, you will not see many bears unless you are out in some of the wilderness areas or in the Park, some campgrounds near the Park. Be smart about food if you are camping--don't leave it accessible. Going to the Sun
road is a special treat from the Red Cars. west to east is the edge of the road is you a little challenged by driving
on the road that drops off very close to you and your car tires.
check to see if the snow is even plowed on the road to the top !
you are certainly invited to the Missoula Quilt Guild show. we have over 400 articles to display (and some very
talented quilters). two featured quilters with great quilts. silent auction, boutique'. June 22 & 23. check our website.
Missoulaquiltersguild.com or org. Big Sky High is easy to find. there's is a Fort Missoula museum very near & walking
track.
go to the Montana website for all kinds of info. And enjoy your stay in Big Sky Country, home of friendly people!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 AM

Our son lived in Bozeman five years, loved the town when we visited, people were so nice. The scenery in MT is spectacular, no matter where you go. Bozeman has a lovely quilt shop downtown, or it did ten years ago, I roamed a couple of times in it while we were there. He liked living there but I don't do below zero temps, ever!