Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Beer tasting- quilt class for men,update >

Beer tasting- quilt class for men,update

Beer tasting- quilt class for men,update

Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 AM

Default Beer tasting- quilt class for men,update

My DH took his class. Although the class was full,he was the only guy to show up. The instructor spent 3 hours,just with hubby..taught him all sorts of stuff. They walked through the quilt show,and DH was taught about various machines. He came home quite excited about quilting,and can hardly wait to make his first quilt! I better hide my batik stash quick!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-26-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 AM

Oh, but what fun the two of you can have sharing the pleasures of quilting together!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:28 AM

That is a potentially dangerously expensive habit for BOTH of you to have. Buwahahaha......but let the games begin!!!!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:32 PM

I recently took my son to a quilt shop with me (he's 38). I had given him a scrap quilt for his trailer and we discussed the pattern/piecing just before this. He was immediately able to dissect the blocks/pattern and quite quickly picked up the idea of allowing for seam allowances etc. He does have a background in woodworking/construction, so I wasn't surprised when he picked up on it so quickly but I was surprised at his interest in the process.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 AM

I told my hubby I think he'd be terrific at quilting because he has a good eye for color and style. He just laughed but seemed happy with the compliment...one baby step at a time!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

my hubby was good at finding errors for me. after I'd quilted it usually.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

That sounds like fun. Mine is really good at picking fabrics that work together.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 AM

That's bizarre. Not your hubby, sorry, I mean it's bizarre that the class was full but only one man showed up. Were the other students all women, or was your husband the only student that showed up, period?? And if that's the case, that's what I find bizarre. Why register for the class and not show up?

I think it's awesome your husband is getting into it. I think my husband would enjoy it, but he would drive me crazy because I am very detail-oriented and he is definitely not.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:15 PM

How changes in life happen. I was going on a course about an overlocker with my sister in law. Unfortunately she couldn't go so I went with my brother. The other ladies told me not to bring him again as he was by far the best in the class. On the way home I asked him why. He said he looked at it as a machine with no preconceptions of a sewing machine.
Years later I took his sons both under 7 to collect a sewing machine. The boys watched the demo we had. When I got home and started an evening meal the boys unpacked the machine and set it up and went off to find fabric to sew. Since then they have used the machine a few times.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 AM

My DH asked about why the other students didn't come...their wives signed them up. Some wouldn't come because they worried others would think they were gay. The instructor and DH are both retired engineers...they both like the geometric of design.