Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Being Curious, How well read are you? >

Being Curious, How well read are you?

Being Curious, How well read are you?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I've read 65 at least once, many several times, Wuthering Heights is my favourite book of all time and I can quote large chunks from memory - so much so that when we were watching a film adaptation (a pretty accurate one, generally) the other week, I drove DH up the wall - Heathcliff didn't say THAT, he said... Cathy actually said....!!! And so on! After he complained, I restricted myself to occasional derisive snorts!

You can bump my total up to 67 if I can include parts of the Bible and some of the works of Shakespeare - King Lear is my favourite. I love reading and can read really fast - I like trash as well as classics, I'm not picky! I read an entire Dean Koontz on the ferry back from England (5 hours, but we had a meal as well). I read Kane and Abel - nearly 5 inches thick - in a day! People say I must skip read, but I don't!

K x
Wuthering Heights was one of the books I struggled to complete when I was in high school. That is until I used my imagination and turned it into a soap opera in my head as I read it. I went back a few years ago and read it and didnt even have to use the soap opera trick.

( I was a huge fan of soap operas in high school and college)
Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I grew up reading the classics, from huge anthology books of Dickens, Shakespeare, and such. I read the Bible cover to cover several times, looking for things I never found there. JRR Tolkein and CS Louis were my junior high favorites. Folks in my crowd wrote as easily in runes as English. The newer stuff I am not so well acquainted with.

I recently came across Acrobat's free book reader, (Adobe Digital Editions) well worth the download. Also, Project Gutenberg has been mentioned several times here already, and that has free e-books on every subject.

the reader allows you to zoom so you can see the text better, so no excuses about reading glasses are needed!
I hadn't heard about either of those things! :)
Old 04-28-2009, 06:33 AM

its 69 books Ninnie. :)
Old 04-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I have read 55. Over half way there I guess. I love to read.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 AM

It seems I have passed my love of reading on to my oldest niece and oldest nephew. My oldest niece who is 19 in July has read half of these and my oldest nephew9who is 12) has read 30 of them( oh he is in an accelerated program at school. He reads on a 9th grade level).
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I have read 55. Over half way there I guess. I love to read.
Cool.

I think the general public has been underestimated when it comes to reading. I think they believe that readership has gone down over the last 50 years because of Television. But I don't think thats so.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 AM

Now my DD would rather read a book than watch TV. Always has . Started in the first grade. But I have always read to her.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
Now my DD would rather read a book than watch TV. Always has . Started in the first grade. But I have always read to her.
I think thats the biggest thing you can do for a child. Read to them and they will in turn pick up books on there own and enjoy reading. I read to the my oldest niece every night before bed and when she was about 5 years old we went and got her, her very first library card. My niece Monique I wasn't there to read to every night. By this time I had moved away from home and so no one read to her every night and she doesn't enjoy reading as much. Then I was back home when my nephew was born and so I read to him every night. So like I was saying I think it is all about reading to a child when they are little and getting them hooked on reading.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 AM

Well, from that list I counted 34 (a few of them I have read more than once). I love to read, and I tend to go through phases reading different genres. Right now I'm reading about Gene Robinson. Before that I reread The Hitchhiker's Guide, before that I believe it was The Stand, by Stephen King. The only time I can read, now that I have rediscovered quilting, is about an hour before turning off the bedroom lamp to go to sleep.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Well, from that list I counted 34 (a few of them I have read more than once). I love to read, and I tend to go through phases reading different genres. Right now I'm reading about Gene Robinson. Before that I reread The Hitchhiker's Guide, before that I believe it was The Stand, by Stephen King. The only time I can read, now that I have rediscovered quilting, is about an hour before turning off the bedroom lamp to go to sleep.
Cool :) Right now I am reading a non fiction book called Disasters and Heroic Rescues True Stories of Tragedy and Survival North Carolina by Scotti Cohn.