Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing? >

Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing?

Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM

I belong to a Needlework Guild --- that way my fingers are active watching TV. But, I am starting to like applique, so stitching may take second place as soon as I finish my UFOs.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by sandynavas
I would love to have time to work on a dollhouse. My brother has passed along one that needs assembled and I do have six DGDs who love dollhouses . . . but I have to relate a story.
When our daughter was about six she asked Santa for a set of Hot Wheels for Christmas. She so wanted the racetrack and controls. But, alas, Father and I knew best. We bought her a dollhouse instead. Unassembled, the dollhouse came in a box about the same size as the Hot Wheels racetrack. After Christmas we spent hours putting the dollhouse together but she never showed any attention at all.
Many years later she confessed that she was still hurt that Santa never brought the Hot Wheels . . . so when she was about 20 all she got for Christmas that year was Hot Wheels.
We still have the dollhouse but the GDs have two other ones that aren't so delicate. When they are a bit older, perhaps.
Your daughter sounds a lot like me, lol. I always coveted my brother's railway set. However, I was luckier than your daughter one year. My father was sent to buy me a doll's pram and, instead, came back with a pedal car off a round-a-bout in the shape of a race car. My mother wasn't happy, but I was thrilled!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM

You name it, I think I've tried it. Knit, though not very well. Crochet, Tat, Embroider, dressmaking, painting, scrapbooking, cooking/baking, writing, miniatures, ceramics, porcelain doll making, woodworking, music, and my latest - model trains. Trying to narrow down. Sold my kiln but miss it. Sold my woodshop but miss it more. Gave away all my yarn, DIL crochets afghans. Turned the kitchen over to DH. Think I'll keep my sewing machines and stash, my piano, and my trains. LOL
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 AM

I do a lot of Swedish Weaving and Huck Embroidery. I also crochet, both yarn and thread, and learned Filet Crochet recently. I play a few games on computer every morning to get my mind in gear. I also needlepoint. We have a model railroad and I made all the buildings, signs, etc. for it. And I sew, have since I was a small child. I have made thousands of things from wedding dresses to curtains. I have made a lot of theatre costumes in the past.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM

I do knitting as well, but right now I just need to get my gift list finished with quilting.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 AM

If you do decide to make a floor cloth, use the linolium back as your base, not canvas. Canvas, as they recommend in the usual insturctions curl up at the ends and look crappy in a few months. I found linolium - usually found in the less affulent sections of your town - the most sturdy. Georgia
Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 AM

I sew for the grandkids and do hand embroidery, some crosstitch and I love to read and play the piano.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:37 AM

Just started up again on selling on Ebay, which does take alot of time. After that, quilting, making potato bags, dish clothes, watching the grandkids. I also have a dollhouse thing, but can't seem to get enough time to spread it all out and finish the 2 houses I have started.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Knitting has been my main interest for about 10 years. I knit 22 pair for Socks for Soldiers in one year 2007-plus socks for myself and friends that I have many small balls of machine washable wool on hand. Finally decided to knit small wool lap quilts using a #4 circular needle and a mitered square design. When I completed the first I was getting ready to store the remainders in one bag....and they would not fit. So guess what....I started another lap quilt, similar but with a different placement of a variety of sized squares. Beginning quilting classes are this week so I have held myself back from cutting into my best fabric until I pick up hints and clues. I also make beaded bracelets.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 PM

I make garments for me sometimes and I knit baby blankets for "The Linus Connection", they also get my quilts.
I want to learn to knit socks. Handmade socks are so comfy, no icky toe seam.