Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Besides quilts?

Fabric books, burp cloths, changing pad, I used the fabric that joanns sells for the cute pants that go over diapers

I do lots of crib sheets. When I can get flannel that's 44 inches wide, I use that for winter babies. JoAnn's snuggle flannel is too narrow and when you count in shrinkage, you must prewash or the sheet wont' fit the mattress, I have to have the wider fabric. After washing and drying in a hot dryer, press the fabric. Cut WOF 69 inches, then fold it into quarter. Cut 9 inch squares from each of the four corners. I use my serger for the seams and the ends, leaving the selvages for the sides. press under a seam allowance all the way around. Measure 8 inches from each seam down the side, (not the ends) and leave an unstiched space for the elastic. two pieces of elastic, 22 inches each threaded into the ends and you have a crib sheet in less than 30 minutes. Great use for licensed prints and even favorite sports teams. I don't know how many Mizzou and Cardinal's sheets I have made.

I made 45 inch square receiving/bath blankets for my grandchildren and as gifts for others. They were two sided. I made one side a cute kids print and the other side was flannel or terry cloth. The edges were serged. I ran lines of stitching about 4 inch apart lengthwise and crosswise. They were used to wrap the baby in or as bath blankets. I had lots of favorable comments from the recipients.

Power Poster
    First, CONGRATULATIONS on become a Grandma, there is absolutely nothing like it in the world. My parents loved all their grandchildren equally and well, before she passed away there were 16 grandchildren, and more arrived. Mom always said that she loved to see them come and she loved to see them go, she just enjoyed the in between. They were great parents, gave us excellent examples of how to be a loving parent, but there were still rules. Our Zoe is 4 years old now and she is the joy of our life, cute, smart and loves her Grandma MiMi. (that helps, of course LOL). Simplicity and McCalls have several patterns (wait for a sale at JoAnn's, as patterns are wicked expensive). You could make the carriage cover for when the baby gets older and can sit up, so they can be kept away from dirty grocery carts, the U-shaped pillow where the baby can lie in it before they crawl and will be safe, there are baby sling carriers, receiving blankets, burp pads always come in handy, make several as they are easy, as well as bibs, the list of possibilities is endless. Before Zoe was born, I was going to make a wall hanging of a sitting bear, use a coloring book for inspiration, holding balloons that could be embroidered or printed with the baby's information, birth date, weight, name, etc. You are going to have so much fun.

Power Poster
    burp cloths bibs !washcloths
    QUILTNMO

dd
    Someone mentioned bottle covers. After babysitting my new grandson yesterday, I realized bottles don't come in one size/shape anymore. I had 2 differently shaped bottles and neither one looked like what I expected a baby bottle to look like.lol If you make bottle covers, find out what kind they are using first.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

dd
    Also, sorry, I found a really cute pattern, McCalls 6342, not sure if they still make it but it has the cutest little western boots for babies and other booties too for both boys and girls.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I make soft books for my GKs. Good way to use batting scraps. Also self-binding blankets, burp cloths. If mama is nursing a coverup is always nice

An aunt made a flannel receiving blanket that was 45" and it was the most useful thing. commercial receiving blankets don't wrap around a baby too long. There are some blankets out called snuggles that are larger but seem to be of thinner material.
    Another popular thing now is a sleep sack- if you want to sewing it is like a shirt on top and the bottom is like a sack.
    you might want to make a variety of items that the baby can grow into baby size bibs and larger ones, soft toys, maybe a crib size quilt to use when the baby is a toddler.

Burping cloths, a 24 x 24 changing pad made with PUL on one side and fleece or flanne on the other - completely washable and very portable, can also be used to protect baby from rain and snow. If they have more than one car, make a changing pad for each car.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2