Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Besides quilts?

Besides quilts?

I am going to be a first time grandma in February! Besides quilts what can I make for the baby? Suggested patterns?
    I know that they won't be using blankets in the crib. But there are still quilts I will be making! Babies need floor time. I am making a fleece car seat blanket. Other ideas appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    oneteapot/Laurel

Soft cover books?

If you crochet or knit there are some adorable hat and cap patterns out there.
    ~Sharon

dd
    I made a lot of flannel burp rags. 1 yd flannel split down fold. Serged around 1/2 open flat. The other half was folded in half then I serged around the 3 edges. Grandson threw up half of everything he ate. Went through a lot of these. Daughter requested flannel 4 layer nursing pads. She can wash them and reuse. Doesn't take much flannel and cheaper than disposable.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

You could make the u shaped pillow to support the baby, diaper bag, nursing covers, car seat cover or car seat quilt. The picture on the left is a car seat cover I made for my DGD. It is the panda pattern. She is four now but still keeps it in her room as a wall hanging.

Power Poster
    How about those sleeping sacks?

Not sure what it is called... fits in the child carrier part of a shopping cart. My Sis-in-law made one for her new grand well padded and secured child in cart.

burp clothes and nice soft flannel receiving blankets

Wall hanging for nursery, cute mug rugs for mommy's and daddy's coffee mugs, maybe some soft changing pad covers for on-the-go. (I never liked laying my babies directly on the vinyl changing pad directly on a hard surface, esp in public.

Bibs and stuffed animals, blocks and balls.

My niece made loads of the bibs that look like Cowboys scarves (please don't laugh) I just can't remember what they are called. The kids wore them all the time to catch dribbles. So useful!
    maker of the 'Oh Dear Jane' Quilt, or should I say trying to the the maker of it?

Sarahelloyd those bibs are called "bandana bibs". "Google" will give you lots of free patterns for them.

All of the above suggestions will be gratefully received by the new mum.

one piece Bibs that overlap in the back & fasten with velcro. Or the bibs with a pocket in the front to catch food. Bth could be quilted or the latter coud be made from a towel.
    Sue Wilson

I made oversized receiving blankets for my DD and then for all of her pregnant friends. The commercial ones aren't very big. I found you needed about 1 1/4 yards of flannelette one blanket. Wash and dry in a hot dryer. There is quite a bit of shrinkage and the fabric always needs straightening--That's why you need the extra yardage. Then square up to whatever the width of the fabric is, and hem. These will fit most babies until they are about 12 pounds.

I even made some in lightweight cotton because my DGD would only sleep if she was swaddled--even on the hottest summer day.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Shopping cart seat protectors!

Bibs...there are SO MANY cute bib patterns out there these days.

Maybe more of a 1st or 2nd birthday item, but quilted growth charts are super cute.

Plushies - little stuffed animals. Just no buttons for eyes; use safety eyes or (even better I think) embroider them on.

I recently made a diaper bag "quick change" kit for my friend - a washable pouch with waterproof lining to hold clean diapers at first and yucky diapers in a pinch; complete with an outer pouch with a matching changing pad (also waterproof on one side). Whole thing is machine washable.

Haven't seen anyone mention burp cloths. I have a Moda pattern for a set of burp cloths and bib. hope this uploads for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the ideas! Guess I need to buy some flannel!

I wonder if you could do a sweatshirt jacket with the strips? for a baby.

Blog Entries
    Jenny from Missouri Star Quilt has a video for self binding flannel blanket. So easy and so cute. Made some for a baby shower gift the new Mom to be just loved them
    Evelyn

Last edited by Sandygirl; 10-15-2014 at 03:31 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have made a lot of burp cloths. I make mine out of flannel with warm and natural batting in the middle. I make them like you make a rag quilt and after washing the edges fuzz out. This eliminated any turning and finishing. They are a nice weight with the batting and very absorbent. I've gotten rave reviews from the new mothers I've given them too. I've made changing pads using the same method only making them larger.

I made my daughter a diaper bag when she had her first child. She is now using it on child number 3 and loves it. I also made a small bag and used insulbright. It is the right size for a spare diaper and any snack, bottle etc to take along. I had one when my kids were little and it saved me from lugging a big diaper bag to some places like church.

When my kids were little car seats had vinyl covers that got hot and cold and sticky to sit on so I made a quilted cover for the car seat. It was also easy to throw in the washer so the car seat looked nicer. Now the car seats have more cloth coverings but still get yucky from spilled snacks and such so a removable cover might be an idea too. You would need the car seat to do it though.

Burp pads....snuggle .....diaper bag.....cover for shopping cart....rattle rag.....teething rag.....comfort blank is...bottle holder...
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

How about a very thin little quilt to use as a changing blanket for when they are out shopping ? There are changing tables in the restrooms, but no one wants to just lay a baby on one, so if she had a cute little changing quilt with thin batting or none at all, that would fold up nice ?? Just trying to find a unique idea for you quilted wall hanging for the nursery???

Diaper changing pads! Mini rectangular quilts the baby could lay on. I was so grateful to have some instead of placing baby down on a restaurant changing table. Make certain they cover the entire changing table in public areas. If I didn't have one, I used the back seat of the car to change DS.

burp cloths, bibs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast