Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Best Electronic Book, anyone????? >

Best Electronic Book, anyone?????

Best Electronic Book, anyone?????

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 AM

So many questions.......[/QUOTE]

This answers some of your questions. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200768460
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 AM

Www.zinio.com. It's a website for purchasing digital versions Of magazines. Not many sewing and quilting magazines are offering digital versions yet.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM

This has been an adventure. I think I have decided to get the NOOK TABLET. I can get it at the B&N online store for same price as the NOOK Color and KINDLE Fire, also found a 10% off coupon but have to wait for my membership number to come so I can use it. I am not finding many quilt magazines in digital format, but the tablet will let me go on the NET, and that gives me some options. I also think I can scan in some of the patterns i would like to keep and transfer them to the Tablet. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM

I have both the Nook and the Kindle. Both are solid machines. The advantage the Nook has over the kindle is that subscriptions are tied to your account, not to your specific device. I lost all my archived magazines when my Kindle broke - you can download them again, but you can't access them because they are keyed to your kindle. So, I canceled my subscriptions with the Kindle and switched them to the Nook. Right now, I am getting Quilter's World electronically, but to my computer rather than the Nook. I'm trying one craft subscription (Cardmaker) to see how that goes.

Pdf files - I just can't read most of them. I've scanned in older quilt magazine pages and it's just too hard to read them on either the Nook or the Kindle. I will stick with a netbook or Ipad for that.

I can't see converting all my quilting stuff to electronics though. I like to page through stuff and when I want to reduce, I rip apart the magazines and put them in sleeves in my quilting ideas book. Can't do your electronics like that.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 02-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Thank you. I am looking at nook tablet. Do you know if that is morw like the netbook?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 AM

I have a Nook Color and Nook 3g, I love them both. The Nook color is great for magazines. I can also download books from the public library.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Ok.. after a few days of a quilt book and a craft subscription on both the Nook and the Kindle, I can tell you that diagrams are very difficult to see on either the Nook or the Kindle. The screen is just too small and you can't enlarge it. However, you CAN use the free Kindle or Nook apps on your computer and they look great. So, unless you have your computer right by your sewing machine (and I know some of you do), I can't see ever buying a Nook or Kindle version of a quilt book. I do think an Ipad would have a large enough screen to see detail.

I bought the book Crazy Shortcut Quilts by Marguerita McManus. This works fine on the Nook (or Kindle) as the directions are easy to read and the diagrams are still readable even on a Simple Touch. Some of the detail for crazy quilting is lost and I had to look for that on the enlarged version on the computer. The craft subscription, Cardmaker, has the same problem. You can read the text just fine, but the detail in the photo isn't all that easy to see unless you are looking on your computer. Doable, not comfortable.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM

I got the NOOK tablet. 16gig. Used it this weekend. I can see some limitations, but I can load them to the computer, or email them to myself (I think) and print what I need. I downloaded QUILT magazine. It came with extra patterns than were even in the magazine. You can touch the "article view" spot and it makes it a lot easier to read. The pictures are nice, but you don't get to see the really tiny details, but I think If I were going to use a pattern, I would load it to the computer and print it out. We can't get decent internet at our house without paying an arm and a leg. I have it on my phone, but get headaches trying to read it. I have a mobile "Hotspot" for the phone, but my laptop doesn't get along well and I spend too much time trying to get it working. The NOOK tablet was GREAT!!! Talked to my phone with absolutely no problems. I am way behind on my reading for this board and I did a lot of catching up over the weekend. It was such a pleasure to just turn on the NOOK and pull up where I had left off. The print is plenty big enough, no headache, no eye strain. FOR ME this was a great investment.