Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Best Internet/Cable TV service >

Best Internet/Cable TV service

Best Internet/Cable TV service

Old 08-23-2017, 03:59 AM

Default Best Internet/Cable TV service

I will be moving soon and need to decide who to go with for internet and tv service. I don't need all of the movie channels, just a good selection that includes the local channels. My two options are Cox and AT&T. I'm not interested in a dish. I know some companies require a landline be installed and that is ok. I just don't want a service that starts out at a low price and then keeps going up. Any suggestions out there?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I have AT & T and hate them. I'm currently locked in for 2 years but after that the price will go up. I used to have Time Warner- same thing. I wish I could get rid of it altogether.
Good luck!
Old 08-23-2017, 04:24 AM

If I were to ask that same question, would include that I will be moving to North Carolina. We currently have wifi, phone, tv, etc and it includes email for work. Next summer we will need basics. Anyone in NC?
Old 08-23-2017, 06:00 AM

Honestly, I recommend going with a very good high-speed internet connection and streaming everything you watch.

We subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Showtime and HBO. Our total bill is less than half of what it was when we had satellite tv, and we have 90% less commercials. We have a hi-def antenna to watch local channels.

Netflix and Hulu, in addition to offering a lot of great choices that come from traditional outlets, also have a TON of really great quality shows of their own. Very well-written entertainment and not the idiotic reality tv drivel that the Big Three seem to keep shoving down our throats.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

We are moving to a new area soon. The internet cable service is limited. Most use AT&T that live there.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

What bothers me most is that we watch almost nothing on TV. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and MLB (because we like to watch the Yankees and can't get them here)
We also have Roku.
The only reason I don't get rid of cable is b/c my husband likes cable news. I don't see any way around that one
Old 08-23-2017, 01:25 PM

We have directv and will prob change back to the only cable in our town when our contract is up (4 yrs). We hate it cause we lose reception every time it rains...sprinkles...thunders ( YES THUNDER)...we don't get alerts if tornado threatens, the fees went up $60 after initial sign up, tho they said it would only be about $30-35 increase, we have to pay a sports fee even tho no sports programs are ever watched in our house (this infuriates me most!), they call constantly wanting us to buy premium movie channels after being told over and over 'not interested'. Oh, and one more thing, when we cancel, we will have to pay for shipping the boxes/ remotes back to the company. I guess I'm just being an old curmudgeon, but they sure do squeeze your wallet!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:05 PM

We have been using Cox for years, high speed internet, cable, and basic phone. We rarely, if ever, have had an interruption in service. I like their customer service when I've needed help with a new tv or something. We have local channels and the usual cable channels. I like having local news and weather. My husband likes certain car shows that are on cable and when the kids come, they like to watch sports. Works for us.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
The only reason I don't get rid of cable is b/c my husband likes cable news. I don't see any way around that one
You can watch a lot of cable news via your Roku. It's not live, but I actually prefer it that way - watch when YOU want, not when they're broadcasting.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:31 PM

We had Time Warner bundled service that included Wi Fi,Phone & TV. Sprectrum bought them out,assuring all there would be no hike in prices. Of course,all was raised shortly.
Our bill is so high,but DH watches a lot of reruns & old movies. The channel that carries them is in the top bracket.Lots of $$$,but I hope to learn more & see if we can find a lower price. If not,we are stuck.