Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Binge watching

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,179

    Binge watching

    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for series to binge watch via Netflix? Right now we are watching old episodes of West Wing - what a great show.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    894
    The Crown is on Netflix. You'll be glued to your seat. Wonderful series. It is about Queen Elizabeth II from the time she is crowned. Don't know how close to the present day it comes. When we left off at the end of the last season it was probably in the late 50's - early 60's.
    Sally

  3. #3
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,608
    Blog Entries
    1
    Heartland is about ranchers in Canada. I think there are 8-10 seasons.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    457
    Longmire...6 seasons

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    441
    "Call the Midwife"- would be my top recommendation. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but liking this show was a surprise. The characters development is excellent, and I became quite attached. It covers a lot of the issues women faced in the mid-20th Century, many of which are still relevant today. This show is at times heart warming and heart wrenching.

    Ken Burns' "Prohibition", and "The West" are both pretty fascinating documentaries. I binged them both multiple times. Somehow, I just could not get into the Ken Burns War documentaries.

    Haven- I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about the ending of this series, but overall I did enjoy the individual episodes and storylines.

    The Good Witch-The best way I can describe this series is "feel good fluff". Still, it was quite charming nonetheless.

    The 4400 is pretty enjoyable if you are into sci-fi dramas.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    We enjoyed The Crown, Longmire, Call the Midwife, and A Place to Call Home. Will give Heartland and The Good Witch a try. We are heading into re-run season, so it's good to have these suggestions. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Junior Member pahega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    242
    Blog Entries
    6
    Good to know. Thanks for posting these.

  8. #8
    Super Member SusieQOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    9,003
    Just started Call The Midwife and it's wonderful!!!

  9. #9
    Junior Member charley26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Herefordshire, UK
    Posts
    270
    I cannot watch 'Call the Midwife', it is just too maudlin, too much of the current political climate - 'the good old days' etc.
    I just love Line of Duty, Shetland, Missing, Baptiste, Trapped, and any/all of the Scandi drama shows that are shown here in the UK. These are all excellent shows, although I also love Endeavour, Lewis, Vera and, I can tolerate any reruns of Miss Marple or Poirot - even though there is an element of 'the good old days' in them. My favourite Miss Marple of all time is Joan Hickson; she was truly awesome.
    Must also mention Hinterland - just brilliant, currently awaiting new series of Line of Duty. Not really keen on much of American drama output shown here in the UK - apart from 'Handmaids Tale' of course; no characters that are relatable, ordinary people, and so on. Needless to say, any 'Reality' TV shows are a total switch off, and there is always the radio, and podcasts.
    One radio drama/podcast I can totally recommend is 'Tumanbay' Love, love, love it. Truly wonderful.
    Oh, and 'Mother, Father, Son' is rather good - it has Richard Gere in it.

  10. #10
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,574
    Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    I cannot watch 'Call the Midwife', it is just too maudlin, too much of the current political climate - 'the good old days' etc.
    I just love Line of Duty, Shetland, Missing, Baptiste, Trapped, and any/all of the Scandi drama shows that are shown here in the UK. These are all excellent shows, although I also love Endeavour, Lewis, Vera and, I can tolerate any reruns of Miss Marple or Poirot - even though there is an element of 'the good old days' in them. My favourite Miss Marple of all time is Joan Hickson; she was truly awesome.
    Must also mention Hinterland - just brilliant, currently awaiting new series of Line of Duty. Not really keen on much of American drama output shown here in the UK - apart from 'Handmaids Tale' of course; no characters that are relatable, ordinary people, and so on. Needless to say, any 'Reality' TV shows are a total switch off, and there is always the radio, and podcasts.
    One radio drama/podcast I can totally recommend is 'Tumanbay' Love, love, love it. Truly wonderful.
    Oh, and 'Mother, Father, Son' is rather good - it has Richard Gere in it.
    We like Shetland too, and are awaiting season 4 here in Netflix. I couldn't get into Call the Midwife either for the reasons you said.

    We are always way behind. We watched White Collar, Suits, The Closer, and now are on Monk.
    Alyce

  11. #11
    Junior Member charley26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Herefordshire, UK
    Posts
    270
    Yes, I do like Monk too actually; I had forgotten about that. It is always a pleasant surprise to come across it when channel hopping!

  12. #12
    Senior Member zzmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    864
    Blog Entries
    1
    Secret City on Netflix is good.
    It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
    Edmund Hillary

  13. #13
    Super Member tesspug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,959
    If you'd like one that is not fiction, Big Dreams,Small Spaces is about gardening in small English gardens. I'll Have What Phil is Having is a foodies tour of the world. There is a second one called, Someone Feed Phil. Phil is funny, I love when he called his parents back in the states. And four part one called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" - about cooking.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    If you'd like one that is not fiction, Big Dreams,Small Spaces is about gardening in small English gardens. I'll Have What Phil is Having is a foodies tour of the world. There is a second one called, Someone Feed Phil. Phil is funny, I love when he called his parents back in the states. And four part one called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" - about cooking.
    I love those Phil programs, too. He is so sweet! And the travelogue is great. DH doesn't fancy him very much, probably because he's been forced to see a lot of cooking shows!

  15. #15
    Super Member SusieQOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    9,003
    Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    I cannot watch 'Call the Midwife', it is just too maudlin, too much of the current political climate - 'the good old days' etc.
    I just love Line of Duty, Shetland, Missing, Baptiste, Trapped, and any/all of the Scandi drama shows that are shown here in the UK. These are all excellent shows, although I also love Endeavour, Lewis, Vera and, I can tolerate any reruns of Miss Marple or Poirot - even though there is an element of 'the good old days' in them. My favourite Miss Marple of all time is Joan Hickson; she was truly awesome.
    Must also mention Hinterland - just brilliant, currently awaiting new series of Line of Duty. Not really keen on much of American drama output shown here in the UK - apart from 'Handmaids Tale' of course; no characters that are relatable, ordinary people, and so on. Needless to say, any 'Reality' TV shows are a total switch off, and there is always the radio, and podcasts.
    One radio drama/podcast I can totally recommend is 'Tumanbay' Love, love, love it. Truly wonderful.
    Oh, and 'Mother, Father, Son' is rather good - it has Richard Gere in it.
    Did I just read Richard Gere? I have to watch that one!

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    108
    On Netflix, White Collar is one of my favorites. This is an old series, but I still enjoyed watching it again. Right now, on INSP, I am watching Waltons. Started with Season 1 Episode 1. It has been interesting to see how many issues are still things we all deal with even today.

  17. #17
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
    On Netflix, White Collar is one of my favorites. This is an old series, but I still enjoyed watching it again. Right now, on INSP, I am watching Waltons. Started with Season 1 Episode 1. It has been interesting to see how many issues are still things we all deal with even today.
    white collar was our favorite Netflix binge watch and we were sad when it was over.
    Alyce

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    108
    Stitchnripper, are you saying White Collar is no longer available on Netflix? I was going to go and do it all over again after Waltons is done. : (

    Alice

  19. #19
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
    Stitchnripper, are you saying White Collar is no longer available on Netflix? I was going to go and do it all over again after Waltons is done. : (

    Alice
    i don’t know if it is still on Netflix. What I meant is that when we watched all 6 seasons we were sad there were no more. We don’t tend to rewatch
    Alyce

  20. #20
    Super Member Darcyshannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,778
    I will have to check out White Collar.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    11
    Blog Entries
    2
    Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Murdoch Mysteries, both are period pieces. Miss Fisher has a awesome wardrobe, she is a very modern women for the 1920s. Midsomer Murders have 20 seasons, as well as Silent Witness. I have watched most of the shows mentioned previously.

  22. #22
    Senior Member sandybeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ridgecrest, CA
    Posts
    902
    Blog Entries
    1
    I just got hooked on Arrow. Unfortunately Netflix does seem to skip an episode once in a while and you get rather confused as to what happened. But I am having a ball watching it.

  23. #23
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,978
    Blog Entries
    1
    Russian Doll. I binged the entire season in two days. It was different and held me captive.

    Loved Longmire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.