Binge watching

Old 03-13-2019, 02:28 AM

Default Binge watching

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for series to binge watch via Netflix? Right now we are watching old episodes of West Wing - what a great show.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 AM

The Crown is on Netflix. You'll be glued to your seat. Wonderful series. It is about Queen Elizabeth II from the time she is crowned. Don't know how close to the present day it comes. When we left off at the end of the last season it was probably in the late 50's - early 60's.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 AM

Heartland is about ranchers in Canada. I think there are 8-10 seasons.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Longmire...6 seasons
Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 PM

"Call the Midwife"- would be my top recommendation. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but liking this show was a surprise. The characters development is excellent, and I became quite attached. It covers a lot of the issues women faced in the mid-20th Century, many of which are still relevant today. This show is at times heart warming and heart wrenching.

Ken Burns' "Prohibition", and "The West" are both pretty fascinating documentaries. I binged them both multiple times. Somehow, I just could not get into the Ken Burns War documentaries.

Haven- I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about the ending of this series, but overall I did enjoy the individual episodes and storylines.

The Good Witch-The best way I can describe this series is "feel good fluff". Still, it was quite charming nonetheless.

The 4400 is pretty enjoyable if you are into sci-fi dramas.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 AM

We enjoyed The Crown, Longmire, Call the Midwife, and A Place to Call Home. Will give Heartland and The Good Witch a try. We are heading into re-run season, so it's good to have these suggestions. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:42 AM

Good to know. Thanks for posting these.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Just started Call The Midwife and it's wonderful!!!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 AM

I cannot watch 'Call the Midwife', it is just too maudlin, too much of the current political climate - 'the good old days' etc.
I just love Line of Duty, Shetland, Missing, Baptiste, Trapped, and any/all of the Scandi drama shows that are shown here in the UK. These are all excellent shows, although I also love Endeavour, Lewis, Vera and, I can tolerate any reruns of Miss Marple or Poirot - even though there is an element of 'the good old days' in them. My favourite Miss Marple of all time is Joan Hickson; she was truly awesome.
Must also mention Hinterland - just brilliant, currently awaiting new series of Line of Duty. Not really keen on much of American drama output shown here in the UK - apart from 'Handmaids Tale' of course; no characters that are relatable, ordinary people, and so on. Needless to say, any 'Reality' TV shows are a total switch off, and there is always the radio, and podcasts.
One radio drama/podcast I can totally recommend is 'Tumanbay' Love, love, love it. Truly wonderful.
Oh, and 'Mother, Father, Son' is rather good - it has Richard Gere in it.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
I cannot watch 'Call the Midwife', it is just too maudlin, too much of the current political climate - 'the good old days' etc.
I just love Line of Duty, Shetland, Missing, Baptiste, Trapped, and any/all of the Scandi drama shows that are shown here in the UK. These are all excellent shows, although I also love Endeavour, Lewis, Vera and, I can tolerate any reruns of Miss Marple or Poirot - even though there is an element of 'the good old days' in them. My favourite Miss Marple of all time is Joan Hickson; she was truly awesome.
Must also mention Hinterland - just brilliant, currently awaiting new series of Line of Duty. Not really keen on much of American drama output shown here in the UK - apart from 'Handmaids Tale' of course; no characters that are relatable, ordinary people, and so on. Needless to say, any 'Reality' TV shows are a total switch off, and there is always the radio, and podcasts.
One radio drama/podcast I can totally recommend is 'Tumanbay' Love, love, love it. Truly wonderful.
Oh, and 'Mother, Father, Son' is rather good - it has Richard Gere in it.
We like Shetland too, and are awaiting season 4 here in Netflix. I couldn't get into Call the Midwife either for the reasons you said.

We are always way behind. We watched White Collar, Suits, The Closer, and now are on Monk.