Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binge watching

Binge watching

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for series to binge watch via Netflix? Right now we are watching old episodes of West Wing - what a great show.

The Crown is on Netflix. You'll be glued to your seat. Wonderful series. It is about Queen Elizabeth II from the time she is crowned. Don't know how close to the present day it comes. When we left off at the end of the last season it was probably in the late 50's - early 60's.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    Heartland is about ranchers in Canada. I think there are 8-10 seasons.

Longmire...6 seasons

"Call the Midwife"- would be my top recommendation. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but liking this show was a surprise. The characters development is excellent, and I became quite attached. It covers a lot of the issues women faced in the mid-20th Century, many of which are still relevant today. This show is at times heart warming and heart wrenching.

Ken Burns' "Prohibition", and "The West" are both pretty fascinating documentaries. I binged them both multiple times. Somehow, I just could not get into the Ken Burns War documentaries.

Haven- I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about the ending of this series, but overall I did enjoy the individual episodes and storylines.

The Good Witch-The best way I can describe this series is "feel good fluff". Still, it was quite charming nonetheless.

The 4400 is pretty enjoyable if you are into sci-fi dramas.

We enjoyed The Crown, Longmire, Call the Midwife, and A Place to Call Home. Will give Heartland and The Good Witch a try. We are heading into re-run season, so it's good to have these suggestions. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Good to know. Thanks for posting these.

Just started Call The Midwife and it's wonderful!!!

I cannot watch 'Call the Midwife', it is just too maudlin, too much of the current political climate - 'the good old days' etc.
    I just love Line of Duty, Shetland, Missing, Baptiste, Trapped, and any/all of the Scandi drama shows that are shown here in the UK. These are all excellent shows, although I also love Endeavour, Lewis, Vera and, I can tolerate any reruns of Miss Marple or Poirot - even though there is an element of 'the good old days' in them. My favourite Miss Marple of all time is Joan Hickson; she was truly awesome.
    Must also mention Hinterland - just brilliant, currently awaiting new series of Line of Duty. Not really keen on much of American drama output shown here in the UK - apart from 'Handmaids Tale' of course; no characters that are relatable, ordinary people, and so on. Needless to say, any 'Reality' TV shows are a total switch off, and there is always the radio, and podcasts.
    One radio drama/podcast I can totally recommend is 'Tumanbay' Love, love, love it. Truly wonderful.
    Oh, and 'Mother, Father, Son' is rather good - it has Richard Gere in it.

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    I cannot watch 'Call the Midwife', it is just too maudlin, too much of the current political climate - 'the good old days' etc.
    I just love Line of Duty, Shetland, Missing, Baptiste, Trapped, and any/all of the Scandi drama shows that are shown here in the UK. These are all excellent shows, although I also love Endeavour, Lewis, Vera and, I can tolerate any reruns of Miss Marple or Poirot - even though there is an element of 'the good old days' in them. My favourite Miss Marple of all time is Joan Hickson; she was truly awesome.
    Must also mention Hinterland - just brilliant, currently awaiting new series of Line of Duty. Not really keen on much of American drama output shown here in the UK - apart from 'Handmaids Tale' of course; no characters that are relatable, ordinary people, and so on. Needless to say, any 'Reality' TV shows are a total switch off, and there is always the radio, and podcasts.
    One radio drama/podcast I can totally recommend is 'Tumanbay' Love, love, love it. Truly wonderful.
    We like Shetland too, and are awaiting season 4 here in Netflix. I couldn't get into Call the Midwife either for the reasons you said.

We are always way behind. We watched White Collar, Suits, The Closer, and now are on Monk.
    Alyce

Yes, I do like Monk too actually; I had forgotten about that. It is always a pleasant surprise to come across it when channel hopping!

Blog Entries
    Secret City on Netflix is good.
    It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
    Edmund Hillary

If you'd like one that is not fiction, Big Dreams,Small Spaces is about gardening in small English gardens. I'll Have What Phil is Having is a foodies tour of the world. There is a second one called, Someone Feed Phil. Phil is funny, I love when he called his parents back in the states. And four part one called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" - about cooking.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    If you'd like one that is not fiction, Big Dreams,Small Spaces is about gardening in small English gardens. I'll Have What Phil is Having is a foodies tour of the world. There is a second one called, Someone Feed Phil. Phil is funny, I love when he called his parents back in the states. And four part one called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" - about cooking.
    I love those Phil programs, too. He is so sweet! And the travelogue is great. DH doesn't fancy him very much, probably because he's been forced to see a lot of cooking shows!

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    Did I just read Richard Gere? I have to watch that one!

On Netflix, White Collar is one of my favorites. This is an old series, but I still enjoyed watching it again. Right now, on INSP, I am watching Waltons. Started with Season 1 Episode 1. It has been interesting to see how many issues are still things we all deal with even today.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
    On Netflix, White Collar is one of my favorites. This is an old series, but I still enjoyed watching it again. Right now, on INSP, I am watching Waltons. Started with Season 1 Episode 1. It has been interesting to see how many issues are still things we all deal with even today.
    white collar was our favorite Netflix binge watch and we were sad when it was over.
    Alyce

Stitchnripper, are you saying White Collar is no longer available on Netflix? I was going to go and do it all over again after Waltons is done. : (

Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
    Stitchnripper, are you saying White Collar is no longer available on Netflix? I was going to go and do it all over again after Waltons is done. : (

Alice
    i don’t know if it is still on Netflix. What I meant is that when we watched all 6 seasons we were sad there were no more. We don’t tend to rewatch
    Alyce

I will have to check out White Collar.

Blog Entries
    Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Murdoch Mysteries, both are period pieces. Miss Fisher has a awesome wardrobe, she is a very modern women for the 1920s. Midsomer Murders have 20 seasons, as well as Silent Witness. I have watched most of the shows mentioned previously.

Blog Entries
    I just got hooked on Arrow. Unfortunately Netflix does seem to skip an episode once in a while and you get rather confused as to what happened. But I am having a ball watching it.

Blog Entries
    Russian Doll. I binged the entire season in two days. It was different and held me captive.

Loved Longmire.