Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The board is switching to new software. Need your help testing. >

The board is switching to new software. Need your help testing.

The board is switching to new software. Need your help testing.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
joy

Just had another look at the new colours and no, I can't look at it for long... about 2 minutes if that.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator

I changed the colors to make them "more blue" and "less green".

In any case, I'm more worried about the core functionality at this time. We can always deal with colors, but if I switch the board and it turns out that people can't post, or that attachments don't load, or PMs aren't delivered, etc. then it's a much bigger problem.

So please test the functionality a bit. Just make some posts and use the new board as you would normally use it. That database is going to be discarded anyway, so post away with any test messages. All content will be brought back in sync with the currently used database at the time of the switch.

Please let me know if you encounter any errors.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Administrator

I added the bookmarks, so they can be used as before.

Also, "Read new messages since my last visit" is not going to be added to the new board. It's broken here (misses messages) so replicating it doesn't make sense.

Instead, the Recent Topics list will only show the topics that you haven't seen. And when a topic that you've seen gets a new post, then it re-appears there. So you can use the Recent Topics listing to catch up on all new topics and all updated topics.

You can also pick which sections to filter from the Recent Topics list. It's in My Profile (at the bottom). So you can exclude the sections that you don't want appearing there.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Administrator

E-mail notifications are currently off. So you won't be receiving notices. That's not an error. It simply hasn't been implemented yet.

Also, anything you post on the new board (posts and PMs) is not going to be reflected on the old board.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator

I added the ability for users to delete posts in their PDA topics. Now you can clean up your PDA from time to time.

Please test it out.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Admin
Have to agree with rivka and bearisgray - could not cope with reading posts in the new forum colours for more than a few minutes before eye pain and blurring made me leave.
Which colors are you referring to? The white post background or the light-pink page background?
I like/am comfortable with the colors on the "old" version - they appear to be blue, gray,and white to me.

I haven't been able to identify exactly what bothers me on the "new" version, but I would be quite happy if you kept everything to appear the same as this "outdated" version- and just fixed whatever is behind the scenes so it can accommodate the higher volume of users or whatever it is that you need to do.

I very much do appreciate your efforts to keep this going - - - so, like others, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining -

I just went back to look at it this morning (8:30 AM CST) and the colors don't bother me now. Maybe it was the pink.

I would like the background color to be more subtle on the listing pages.

I opened another Window, and was able to have both versions up at the same time.

I like it better this morning than I did last night.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:36 AM

Admin,
I think the font size is good, It has variation with the topic at 14 pt, the message smaller and signature even smaller.
as for the layout of the messages, I would suggest that the date of post be moved to the top line, and add back the title of post as it is now, then message and then signature. then a line for end of post. everything in a compact, contained area.

Seems to me there is plenty of space winthin the messags space that a reply button could be inserted there. I can't find a reply button at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Administrator

I like/am comfortable with the colors on the "old" version - they appear to be blue, gray,and white to me.
Now that's the palette for the new layout as well: blue, gray and white.

I would like the background color to be more subtle on the listing pages.
Yes, I noticed that too. It's hard to read the topic titles. I'll make the background lighter.

I would suggest that the date of post be moved to the top line
Since there are no more "breaks" between the posts, the only way to place the post time at the top would be to insert it above the person's user id (on the left side) in the same area that lists user info. I don't think that would be good.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Seems to me there is plenty of space winthin the messags space that a reply button could be inserted there. I can't find a reply button at all.
It's in the same location as on the old board. It just doesn't show if you aren't logged in.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:51 AM

Thanks Admin, that was the case, I hadn't logged in. I did so, and see the reply button.