Body Language

Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 AM

I've found that if I'm smiling all the time it doesn't seem to bother others. But if I change from not-smiling to a happy smiling face that change is bothersome. They must take it personally - who knows.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM

It was someone you know, so that takes the stranger anxiety/shyness thing out of the equation. Since you know this person, I would interact a few more times and gauge the response. If it is still aversive, and that is different from past behavior, then I would start to wonder. If it is a one-time thing, it could be something as simple as that person just not having a good day and not wanting to encourage interaction by shooting you a smile back. I would say don't let it bother you, but if you posted a thread on the topic, I'd say it IS bothering you. Good luck on figuring out what that is about.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Actually it was someone I have known for a long time. Maybe all of you are right and I shouldn't worry about it anymore. Thanks for your thoughts about this.
Maybe she didn't realize it was you or maybe she was deep in thought. When I pass a stranger on the street I do the smile, quick eye contact, say hello and look away thing you described. For one, I am shy and I guess from living in a big city for several years, sometimes too much eye contact is not a good thing. Even in a small town we have our panhandlers and all you have to do is make eye contact and they will stop you asking for money. I hate turning them down because what if their story is true???? I know, most times it isn't but if it were I'd be glad to help. I also have a bad habit of being in deep thought while walking around the office and not paying the least bit attention to whoever is around me.

Hope you have a better day :)
Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 AM

Shyness?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 AM

I must admit this person has not been overly friendly as of late and it is because of circumstances that are out of my control. However, I have went out of my way to make her speak to me when she avoided me. It is not a circumstance that I can fix because nothing was my fault and nothing is her fault. But it did involve our adult children. Actually my child got the bad end of the deal and since then things have worked out immensely or I should say has turned around for mine. As I passed her there was no one else around and I directly looked at her with a smile to be friendly. That is when I got a half smile and eyes that closed at me.

I don't let things like this interfere with how I treat other people and I go out of my way to make sure they know I am not holding ill feelings. I don't know but maybe some people cant accept that.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I agree, just smile and not worry about it.