Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I have difficulty reading because of my eyes, but I love listening to audio tapes. I have a large collection plus borrow them from the library.

Currently I am listening to "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen.
aren't you just loving that one?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I'm looking for a long thick paged series to read, sink into, escape to this summer... historical fiction is my favorite. What would you suggest?
the author of The Other Bolyen Girl writes fantastic historical fiction. her name is philipa gregory.

right now i'm in the middle of 2 books: 'the known world' by edward p. jones and 'fall on your knees' by ann-marie macdonald. both consuming.

i recently finished both 'the quilt that walked to golden' (meaning colorado) by sandra dallas and 'hidden in plain view' by jacqueline l. tobin and raymond g. dobard. the first is an interesting historical study of the travels of quiltmakers, quilts and the values thereof from the early 1800's until now, and the second one is about the civil war and the quilts that were used as messages for the underground railroad.
i'm in the middle of wrapping the second 2 for trupeach1 right now. keep your pants on, trupeach!!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 AM

yea, i love books but can't afford to buy new so i have to wait
and get them at yard sales, thats good tho. i like James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Lisa Gardner once in a while will read a [ love noval] I always have to hurry and find out what going to happen on the next page. Oh well
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM

JA Jance is good, although I haven't read but a couple of her books. I have never heard of Earl Emerson. But I will check him out at the library.
My all time favs are Gone with the Wind, all Jodi Picoult, all Diana Gabaldon, all Jacquelyn Mitchard and definitly A Beautiful Mind.
Keep the list coming y'all I'm writing doan all the books and authors. :P :P
Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM

i am reading anything by Mariah Stewart (I Love Who Done Its). My Library is conected to our com college. We have section of books for sale from the friends of the library. I buy, read and donate back,
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the link SarahBelle, what a cool cover, I want one! the first time I saw the Kindle and told the Dearly Beloved I HAD to have it, no arguments. The man is smart, he never comes between a woman and her books, quilts or cats! The only thing I don't like about the Kindle is that I no longer have books to trade with my friends! Meredith
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Earl Emerson's earlier books are the best! My all time fav book is the Secret Garden followed by Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier! I have read those so many times I need to buy new copies!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:33 PM

I love mysteies. Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter also. Patterson, So many and I forget some always. But give me a book and I can sit and read all day and night. lol I also use my local Library.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM

sookie stackhouse books by charlaine harris these are the books they have loosley based the hbo series true blood on if you like the twighlight books but wanted a little more excitement these are the books for you i tell everyone they are the ADULT twighlight hehe love them!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Merdyann
Earl Emerson's earlier books are the best! My all time fav book is the Secret Garden followed by Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier! I have read those so many times I need to buy new copies!
I love Rebecca. And I will be looking for Earl Emerson's next time I hit the library. Thanks for the info. :thumbup: