Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I love the library!!! I am forever requesting new books before they get them! I belong to a bookclub and in this months bulletin I found about 10 books I have circled to read as they become available. I also belong to a paperback swap club on line! I LOVE books!!! I also like books on tape. :D :thumbup:
Ditter I just want to say what a pleasant smile you have..you look like such a nice lady..quilter..reader...you must be as nice as you appear to be
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I am just starting The Aloha Quilt, the most recent Elm Creek novel by Jennifer Chiaverini.
Read it, loved it. The author did her research very well.

Am currently reading the Benni Harper Mystery series. 8-)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Yay! A book thread. I'm not going to get anything done tonight. I love suggestions for new reads!

I do belong to my library and to the library in my hometown!

I also adore good audiobooks. It is totally UNcharacteristic of my usual choices, but I'm listening now to "Lonesome Dove" and I am enthralled!

I am reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"--I tried to read it last year, couldn't get into it, but I'm really enjoying it now! Funny how that is...
I am so happy to hear you say that, I tried to read Potatoe peel pie last year, I loved the title, but I couldn't get into it, I might try again.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM

Elvis and the Grateful Dead by Peggy Webb. Mildly funny.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 PM

I've read a few good ones lately, both fiction and non-fiction.

Fiction: Welcome to Harmony by Jodi Thomas. If you're a Debbie Macomber fan, you'd like Jodi Thomas. Same sort of thing, relationships among the people in a small town. Mellow, absorbing, satisfying.

Non-fiction: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, a true story by William Kamkwamba (the boy, now a man) and Brian Mealer (a professional writer). It's the story of this boy, poor and uneducated, and living in the African country of Malawi who can't afford to go to secondary school but uses library books to learn to build a windmill. He of course doesn't have the materials for this, so he makes them out of trash, such as melting plastic bags and fusing them together... he uses the windmill to light his house at night (with old car batteries, all he can get), recharge other people's cell phones and eventually to provide water so his mother and sisters don't have to trek a distance to get it.

What I'm reading right now: The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. He's a professional writer, and he did this as a project for this book. He's a New Yorker, Jewish by birth, though agnostic and non-observant. He decides to spend one year living according to the Bible itself - not according to religious leaders or traditions, but trying to follow the Bible directly. He spends a lot of time reading it, interpreting it, reading books about it and visiting various groups who practice in different ways. He spends the first part of the year following the Old Testament, the Jewish Bible. The last part of the year he devotes to examining and living by the New Testament, the Christian Bible. Anyway, it's very interesting to read what he learns, what he thinks about it, and his humor - he's very funny.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the new authors. I am always looking for more good books. I started Francine Rivers "Her Mother's Hope" tonight & didn't want to put it down. That is saying a lot since I am getting my house ready to sell & it has taken me a week to read a book lately. Even Nora Roberts "The Search"...which was very good, took me forever! My mind just wanders to what needs to be done & I'm up working again. Tonight I sat and READ!!!!Rivers tells a wonderful story in each of her books.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 PM

I do belong to the local library, but it is small. If they don't have the book they can order it from the next town over and it takes a day or two. Therefore, my Kindle is my best friend. I make Kindle covers and love them. I still have my "real" books that I read. I switch back and forth. Took me a bit to get over the fact of holding a book, the smell and feel of a "real" book. But for ease of taking to doctor's offices etc. I love my Kindle. There are hundreds of free books from Amazon.