Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
book recommendations - winter reading >

book recommendations - winter reading

book recommendations - winter reading

Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Originally Posted by Marlys
Most of Nicholas Sparks are good. One of my favorite authors is Clive Cussler. My son is reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest & recommends all 3 of those books - they are next on my list. If you like history, I also recommend books by Jeff Shaara.
The Stieg Larrsson books are awesome but a much different genre than most being recommended here .
I guess it depends on what you like to read. I avoid standard romance /relationship books but I did buy "Heartbroke Bay" yesterday for Kindle after the USATODAY write up.
I loved that series from Stieg, also had the chance to see all three films (hope the american version holds true to the intensity of the story), I was so sad to have it end and to know he passed away. any recommendations for non-romance genre?
If you liked Stieg Larsson , let me recommend another Swedish author Johan Theorin. There's not the political intrigue like in the Millenium series but they are creepy. I'd never read anything quite like them.
Here's one of two I've read:
http://www.amazon.com/Darkest-Room-N...ref=pd_sim_b_1

I wish I had something else to recommed with an incredible , kick-butt protagonist like Lisbeth Sanders but I suppose that's what made Larsson's book so great...the uniqueness of it.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 AM
EC

My favorite book this year is "Still Alice", by Lisa Genova.
Best book I've read for a long time. Very moving, interesting, informational, couldn't put it down. Grabs you right from the beginning. Try it!

http://web.mac.com/lisagenova/Site_5...e_Welcome.html
Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Try anything by Francine Rivers...her last 2 esp. She will keep you turning the pages long after you should be in bed!!! Margaret Maron is a fun mystery writer too. Emilie Richards is wonderful, Haywood Smith is a hoot for women over 40, Kristin Hannah, Mary Ann Monore, Susan Wiggs, Barbara Delinski, Mary Kay Andrews, Dorothea Benton Frank, Patti Callenhan Henry, Luanne Rice...I love them all! I could go on but I'm sure y'all stopped reading this already! :lol:
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by DeneK
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series
Kinda defies genre -- best described as a time travel historical romance but the whole is more than the sum of those parts.
I just finished these.....wish there was more!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 AM

I agree. This book held my interest and opened my eyes.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 AM

I am really behind on all the quilty books my library does not have any. It is a small library here. I saw some on the internet at 7.99 ea but then the postage makes them expensive. So will have to wait.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM

Great thread! Such diverse reading interests! I like many genres myself. I've written down many suggestions and thought of a few more to contribute.

I also love the Mitford series and especially rereading it when my mind is troubled and I don't want to start something new. For christian fiction, I also love Francine Rivers (especially Redeeming Love and The Last Sin Eater), Terri Blackstock (Kindle has a free book now, the first of a series--can't think of the name?) and Lynn Austin (Eve's Daughter's is my favorite of hers). I also really enjoy Frank Peretti, but he writes some darker stuff.

I've enjoyed reading all of Kate Morton's books this year, she was new to me. The Help, mentioned before, by Kathryn Stockett was an awesome audiobook. On a different track, I read Lonesome Dove this year and LOVED it. Not my typical fare.

Three other good ones by new-to-me authors: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Also, I can't forget Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghase--very, very good.

Peace Like a River Leif Enger
Gilead Marilynne Robinson
Same Kind of Different As Me Ron Hall--I can't leave that one out. It was very affecting.

I mentioned earlier Bryce Courteney and the Four Fires, but I started with The Power of One and highly recommend that title.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
The Hot Flash Club..........it is as the name implies menapause. Where a depend it is so funny I almost peed my pants. I have read 2 there might be more.

Stash Envy is another great book.
I thought these were pretty good too. I think I just found the 2.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Great thread! Such diverse reading interests! I like many genres myself. I've written down many suggestions and thought of a few more to contribute.

I also love the Mitford series and especially rereading it when my mind is troubled and I don't want to start something new. For christian fiction, I also love Francine Rivers (especially Redeeming Love and The Last Sin Eater), Terri Blackstock (Kindle has a free book now, the first of a series--can't think of the name?) and Lynn Austin (Eve's Daughter's is my favorite of hers). I also really enjoy Frank Peretti, but he writes some darker stuff.

I've enjoyed reading all of Kate Morton's books this year, she was new to me. The Help, mentioned before, by Kathryn Stockett was an awesome audiobook. On a different track, I read Lonesome Dove this year and LOVED it. Not my typical fare.

Three other good ones by new-to-me authors: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Also, I can't forget Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghase--very, very good.

Peace Like a River Leif Enger
Gilead Marilynne Robinson
Same Kind of Different As Me Ron Hall--I can't leave that one out. It was very affecting.

I mentioned earlier Bryce Courteney and the Four Fires, but I started with The Power of One and highly recommend that title.
I like your train of thought. I enjoyed "Cutting for Stone" and "The Historian" ( although she had trouble with the last two hundred pages) . I just bought Kostova's "The Swan Thieves" . We'll see how that plays.
I enjoyed "The Thirteenth Tale" too!!
I shall look up Frank Peretti.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Originally Posted by DeneK
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series
Kinda defies genre -- best described as a time travel historical romance but the whole is more than the sum of those parts.
I just finished these.....wish there was more!
I read the first one because the Kindle version was free. I'm on the second book and I confess I'm starting to lose interest. I think I do want to keep reading this series though....maybe I just need a break.