Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
book recommendations - winter reading >

book recommendations - winter reading

book recommendations - winter reading

Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I read a lot of books in the winter since I go to bed earlier - warm cozy bed....any good book recommendations
I just finished Suzanne's diary for Nicholas - I highly recommend this one.
I didn't know that there were so many avid readers out there. I just finished The Guardian and the The Rescuer by Nicholas sparks. I have also read all of the Jennifer Chiverinni books. I like Beverly Lewis, Cindy Woodsmall and Wanda Brunsetter who all write about the Amish. Terri Blackstock is another favorite. Karen Kingsbury, Tracie Peterson, B. J. Hoff, Laura Snelling, Lori Wick, Debbie McCumber and Dee Henderson are a few more of my favorites. I enjoy reading books in series. I feel like I get to know the characters and look forward to meeting them again in other books.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 PM

I like reading books by Oliver Sacks. He is able to put complex medical ideas into the simplest form so that ordinary people are able to understand the concepts. The last one I read was an account of a few islands in the world where a significant number of the people were colour blind and of another where a significant number became catatonic.If you like semi - documentary stuff, I highly recommend him - the book, from memory, was "The land of the Colour blind Men".
Oliver Sacks is a physician, best-selling author, and professor of neurology and psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center.

He is the author of ten books, including The Mind's Eye, Musicophilia, Awakenings, and The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat — and was the first to receive honors as a Columbia University Artist, in recognition of his contributions to the arts.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 PM

I have alot of books to read. I have the new Lee Childs novel, the new Ann Rule true crime book plus the new Alex Cross and Scarpetta novels to read. I'm currently reading Jon Krauhauer's (hope I spelled that correctly) book about Pat Tillman. I'd get more done if there weren't so many interesting books and websites to review.:)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 PM

All of Beverly Lewis' books are good!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

WOW!!! So many books...so little time to read AND quilt. Thanks to everyone who has shared their reading recommendations with the rest of us and to the person who began this topic.
Here's mine:
I love Jennifer Chiaverni's books and Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove and Blossom Street series. Have also enjoyed Kate Jacobs' Friday Night Knitting Club books. Lately I've been drawn to the 'series' style books. I just have to read them in the order they were written.
I just finished reading 'Promise Me' by Richard Paul Evans and 'Call Me Mrs. Miracle' by Debbie Macomber.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 AM

If you like Mysteries, try J.A. Jance - continuing characters, and have about 12-15 in several series; also
Stuart Woods has several characters he writes about in the series, and Carolyn Hart is a great author along the same lines. Books on CD are great to take on car trips.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 AM

Janet Evanovich's "Plum" series....make you laugh out loud..and for those of you who were around in the 60's, get a copy of Bruce Palmer's "Karma Charmer" it is hilarious!!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 AM

If you like detective stories placed in the future the JDRobb books are good. So is Pattersons, Alex Cross books.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:40 AM

I'm with SandyZ on Ride the Wind. It's an excellent book.

Along those lines try Sacajewea by Anna Waldo or 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM

I love a good book!! I am so grateful that we have a good library available, I'm there every week. Now I have a long list of authors and titles to look for! Thanks everyone!