Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
book recommendations - winter reading >

book recommendations - winter reading

book recommendations - winter reading

Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Iv'e been reading Laura Lippman she is from Baltimore so while I'm reading I can follow her around town to find the killer.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM

The Mary Russell/Sherlock Homles series by Laurie R. King. There are 10 books in the series and I couldn't put them down. The first one is the "The Beekeepers Apprentice"
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Well, I don't read a ton, so I don't know most of these books, but I did just finish The Hunger Games (three book trilogy), it was really good. Not sure if its the type of reading you like or not. After hearing what it was about, I didn't think it sounded like me, but it came highly recommended from a friend, so I read it. I really enjoyed all three books.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM

I have a large bookcase with books that I read a couple of times a year. Old ones are good, all the Jules Vern ones (the first master of Science Fiction) Ann McCaffrey, (Do not like and won't buy any more of her son's books) Joan Hess who writes about a fictional town in ARK and I used to date one of her Buchanans!! hehehe..Clark and Isaac Asimov of course, they are some of the currant masters of SF.

And of course there's the strong willed Amilia Peabody, the Victorian woman who digs in tombs and solves crimes in the late 1800s and early1900s. Love her..learn a lot about Egypt reading those books.

And of course I have all of Diane Mott Davidtson's books, love them. Susan Whiting Albert, love her characters.
Absolutely love the old Manning Coles books about the WW2, fell in love with Tommy Hambleton a lot of years ago, some of them are funny and some are nice ghost stories when I am disgusted with the violence and ugliness in some books I borrow from the library.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I have a large bookcase with books that I read a couple of times a year. Old ones are good, all the Jules Vern ones (the first master of Science Fiction) Ann McCaffrey, (Do not like and won't buy any more of her son's books) Joan Hess who writes about a fictional town in ARK and I used to date one of her Buchanans!! hehehe..Clark and Isaac Asimov of course, they are some of the currant masters of SF.

And of course there's the strong willed Amilia Peabody, the Victorian woman who digs in tombs and solves crimes in the late 1800s and early1900s. Love her..learn a lot about Egypt reading those books.

And of course I have all of Diane Mott Davidtson's books, love them. Susan Whiting Albert, love her characters.
Absolutely love the old Manning Coles books about the WW2, fell in love with Tommy Hambleton a lot of years ago, some of them are funny and some are nice ghost stories when I am disgusted with the violence and ugliness in some books I borrow from the library.
I have all of Diane Mott Davidson's. I love them. Edie
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Depends on what type of books you enjoy. I just bought Sandra Brown and Tami Hoag's newest books. Kristin Hannah, Nicholas Sparks and too many to write are among my favorite authors.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Thank-you, Thank-you...this is a wonderful list of books. I did picked up a book a few days before I asked for recommendations and this is so weird...I had no idea it was a book that mentions quilts though out the story...its is very good so far. I am learning a lot about some the the history of quilts...The book is a novel and its called Prayers for Sale. It is on clearance at Barnes and Noble for 5.98 and its a hard cover book. So far very interesting reading wonderful story of a woman back in 1963 when she is in her 80's but a lot of the story is about her childhood and as she get older...she was married at age 14 and her husband a few years older was in the civil war and goes from there...
Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Haven't seen anyone mention Mitch Albom. He is my all time favority -- only 4 books so far -- but wonderful. "Tuesdays with Morrie", "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" and if you are a Mom, try
For One More Day". I have the last one "Have a Little Faith" but haven't had time to read with the holidays.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM

BROKEN FOR YOU by Stephanie Kallos is what i lable "a day in the life" type of book. really really good. great characters. my most recent book club selection was ZORRO by Isabel Allende. for me i was feeling ARRGGH. didn't even like any of those movie trailers throughout the years, so i went into reading it with a poor attitude. it was quite a good read and i read the whole book through. (sometimes a good break from quilting gets me inspired again!) still will not watch any of the movies tho, they do not look nearly as good as the book was.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by McQuilter
I recommend reading "The Help" if you want an enlightening experience.
Loved this book.