Bow-Tucked at Hancocks

Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM

When I was a girl, dresses, skirts and sweater sets were the rule in school attire. We did not have the money for much -- I babysat and picked berries for clothes money. I bought one Janzen sweater set as a basis for my wardrobe and then went to the remnant counter and bought material for skirts, blouses and dresses that coordinated. I made the dresses, blouses and skirts to go with the sweaters -- similar to what was commercially available but with some embellishment. My wardrobe budget generally was less than $25 for the school year, but it looked like I spent a fortune. When I was complemented on my clothes and asked where they could buy something similar, I honestly replied that they were one of a kind.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 AM

This reminds me of the Pierre Deux purses - they are quite pricey as well. We used to make quilts with their scraps from the Boston store - it was $28 a yard back in 1980. Check out how much it costs now and quit yer bellyachin' about LQS prices!!

http://www.pierredeux.com/french-cou...ing-fabrics/26
Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Laura who???
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
oh how funny....some people think we ALL wear/know name brands...to this day I think Vera Bradley bags are UGLY....and yet I have a friend that will pay $200 for one..WHY????
Once a year Vera Bradley has a 2 or 3 day sale at the War Memorial Coliseum here in Ft. Wayne, In., with every thing they make at 1/2 price, with some of it being discontinued items, and discontinued prints. It is wall-to-wall crowds, with buses from all over the state, and some from out of state. Every thing use to be made here in Ft. Wayne, now a lot of its made in China.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dianne1
The other day I went to Hancock Fabrics in Birm. Al for their fleace sale-54% off all fleace. Saw a very nice lady about 50yrs old with a beautiful pink paisley sort of bag. I told her "What a lovely bag you have, I love the colors and pattern. Would you mind telling me what pattern you used?" She looked me straight in the eye and said,"This is a Laura Ashley bag-and cost over $100." All I could think of to say was,"Well its still a beautiful bag." She stormed off. I have thought about this and everytime I do, I giggle.
People who are very concerned about how expensive their stuff is need to put signs on the items in question: This is a Laura Ashley bag. or This bracelet is real diamonds! or This dress is a Giorgio Armani. That way, the hoi polloi (that's us) wouldn't offend them. I love your flabberghasted comment. At that point, I'd probably have thought (if not said) "Well, who'd have guessed it?" But then Texans are sort of mouthy. :lol:
Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Boy she seemed a little grumpy. lol
Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM

I could so make my dream quilt with that much money! lol
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie k
my 11yr old GD had to have a Vera Bradley laptop backpack So Pappy bought her one for school $100.00. He better not complain when I spend that much on quilting
For a 11 yr old!!! What is this world coming to? I hope she didn't trade with a friend and never get it back. Kids have no concept of what it takes to make a 100.oo.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM

lol. know what you mean though my sons wife is a sweetheart but she knows all the brand names i just told her if i wanted on name on my butt i would put my own.i wonder of you that make your own bags what would happen if you put your name on it and when someone ask where you got it just say a shop on whatever street your fabric store is on. i wonder if they would look for it?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:37 PM

snobs really kill me-lol! no common sense at all, and too self absorbed. when I I try to be nice and compliment someone and they huff at me with their price tags, I always say: Oh, I thought I recognized the (pattern, fabric, designer trademark or whatever) I just bought the same thing at a yard sale, thrift store, dumpster diving - for 1.50$ whatever would drop their jaw the lowest. sharet