boy was i ever ripped off!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Unfortunately, I had a similar problem over the weekend. I made the trip to a quilt shop that I had been told about, about 45 minutes from my house. They were the rudest people I have ever met and I must say nothing there was a "bargain". As I left, after walking around for 1/2 hr or more with no help, the salesperson asked if I had found everything I wanted. By that time I had just lost it and told her that maybe if I had had some help when I came it, I might have but no I had not and would never be back again. I have told all my quilting friends about the service. I think this is the best way to handle businesses like that. Good Luck with your problem
Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
joy

So you received an e-mail from the "owner"... anybody could have sent that you know. Don't be taken in. The same with phone calls...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM

I work for a fabric store and I insist that people stay at the cutting table while I am doing their fabrics. You would be surprised how many people don't even know how many inches in a yd.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 PM

I would respond to the email by asking to set up a time to call the owner. That way you know you'll get her. This is best handled by phone, not email.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by beachlady
Sorry that happened to you. I always watch now. LQSs always seem to cut right on the line and it seems like their cuts are always an inch or more off.
These stories make me so sad. Quilt shops should be happy places.
I had an unusual experience at JoAnn's last wk. which surprised me. Since all quilt fabrics were 30% off, I picked out 5 pcs. I didn't really have plans for but just couldn't resist.

As she cut them, something told me to ask her to dbl ck the price before cutting. She had already cut one. She was giving me reg. price of twoof the fabrics. When I spoke up about it & reminded her of the sale price, she said she'd adjust the price to give me the sale price.

Then when another pc. came up at a high price ($8.95), she went to ck with somebody else. She returned & said "oh, these two fabrics aren't on sale since they are "Premium fabrics". I said all of those shelves on 2 long walls say it's all 30% off. Too bad for me. That really ticked me off but there was nothing I could do about it. I wasn't in a mood to fight for it so I just got 1 yd. instead of 3 of those fabrics. You can bet I'll ck for sm. print on those 30% off signs next time.

I don't usually take these things sitting down but I just didn't feel up to an argument.
I shop Joann's, but ... as I ask the fabric cutters at a couple of the stores I frequent ... "why am I always the putting the fabric back where it belongs?" They can't even get the batiks in the right places. You gotta watch out for them or the same thing can happen all the time.

And for ckcowl, the original poster, if you can put all the fabric into one of those "if it fits, it ships" USPS boxes, it will only be about $5.00 (the smallest box) to send it back. However, I'd get the manager's approval and say you'd like to be reimbursed for the shipping. I just took back the entire order (5 fabrics) that I had bought and simply told the cutter I was short one yard on one of the cuts. It was a clearance fabric so they gave me refund on my credit card. And I took my fabric and went home. Good luck!
DI
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM

I almost got taken at Joann's. I was getting a small piece of interfacing for making a purse. I wanted 1/2 yard and it was $1.99 a yard, so it would be $1. She said there was just over a yard left and did I want it all. I said only if there's a deal involved. So she asked and was told I could buy the other half yard (actually 19 inches and they charge for every darn inch even if it isn't cut straight) for half price, which is remnant pricing. I told her I would take it for that. She proceeds to cut it into two pieces (why? I do not know) and gives me the ticket. When I got to the register it was the lady who cut it checking people out. I pointed out that the price was wrong-it showed I had one half-yard piece for $1 (which was correct) and then showed another piece .53 yards for $1.05. Which was NOT half price. So the total they wanted for both pieces was $2.05, obviously full price. I tried and tried to explain it to her and she kept saying no, it was right. So I said I just didn't want the extra piece and I'd only take the 1/2 yard I originally asked for.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM

THAT sucks!!! I've had that happen with orders via the internet and there seems to be no recourse except to not go back to that shop. At my LQS I'll stack up bolts I want all of, leave for lunch and come back to pay...never shorted (usually I get a couple inches more then I pay for). I'm so glad I can trust my LQS (owner operated, that makes a difference). I would never go back to that quilt shop and would make a formal complaint to the BBB! That's stealing just like walking out without paying for an item! I wonder if they do that to all their customers...
Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

unfortunatly i have now heard from a couple other quilting friends who have visited that shop that they were cheated...either did not receive a sale price or missing fabric...so i feel like it is their way. the shop is ran by a husband and wife team...the hubby is wonderfully friendly and helpful, cuts fabric nice, is accurate ... his wife on the other hand...if you don't 'belong' in her inner circle it seems you are just there to be taken (so the inner circle can benefit i'm sure) she called me...said that although there does SEEM TO BE a discrepency between the store slip the cuts were written on and the register slip there is no way for her to know whether or not the extra on the register slip was an error or just precuts i picked up she said, sorry, but there is nothing i can do now, next time go over it before leaving, just like counting your money before leaving the bank...i let her know there will not be a next time. i asked her about being shorted the 1 yard that should have been 2, which i paid for...and asked if she had looked at the pictures i sent showing her the 36" instead of 72"...she said well i don't know that you didn't just cut it in half...i was so angry at this point...asked her...why would i cut it off when i needed 2 yards?!? it's for a border. i think i am more upset with this woman than i was with the one who assaulted me in the park...but i remind myself...it 's always the people who treat others poorly and accuse others who are the ones doing the bad deeds, that's why they think everyone else is...i will never step foot in that store again. and i am sending everything to the BBB.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
and i am sending everything to the BBB.
The BBB is simply a club that businesses can join or not and respond to complaints or not. If this shop is truly consistently shorting it's measurements, you might try contacting your state Attorney General.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Honestly, that sounds like a store I'd love to spend some time in, pulling multiple bolts off the shelves, piling them up, up, up on the cutting counter, sending the lady hunting for just the right color/pattern to match...then walking out without spending a penny!!!