Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bread Machine input

Blog Entries
    we make all of our bread. In the past I've had breadman machines and they were excellent. The last two didn't last very long though. So I got an inexpensive Oster and it took me a good 6 months to finally work out a recipe that worked well in it. Next time I'm splurging on the zojirushi.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    We have been using Panasonic 2 lbs breads bread makers and run them once or twice daily. The first one we bought about 26 yr ago. We have replaced parts and belts. Yup this one-
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/8466188?se...ype=10&veh=aff

We use baker's yeast and grind our own flour.
    Please...how do you grind flour? Just very curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Please...how do you grind flour? Just very curious...
    You buy wheat berries and grind them to flour. Wheat grinders are very easy to find. The electric ones are a must if you plan on grinding flour to the consistency of bread flour. I grind my own corn meal too, from corn. I won't buy the packaged corn meal. It is nothing like the real thing. It isn't as time consuming as you think. I can grind fresh when I want it in a matter of seconds.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Thank you for all the input. I have it narrowed down to the Westbend dual blade machine and the Zojirushi. I love the horizontal loaf. I guess it's bad when your DH says to order one and you want one that is over 20 years old because the door opens forward instead of up. But like he says - a lot has changed in 20 years. Just so everybody knows this is going to be my 5th or 6th machine- I wear them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    You buy wheat berries and grind them to flour. Wheat grinders are very easy to find. The electric ones are a must if you plan on grinding flour to the consistency of bread flour. I grind my own corn meal too, from corn. I won't buy the packaged corn meal. It is nothing like the real thing. It isn't as time consuming as you think. I can grind fresh when I want it in a matter of seconds.

Oh my, who knew...thanks for that info.........I do " grind" my own breadcrumbs, but haven't added coffee beans, or now wheat berries, corn ..........maybe I should rethink this whole bead machine deal, and be a pioneer woman!---with a computerized sewing machine running while I grind berries......just being silly, don't anyone get upset.....i do like doing what is referred to as old fashioned things--- otherwise why would I, us, be quilting!

Another question ....where do you buy wheat berries and corn to grind? And a wheat grinder......why not buy store-bought? Again, just curious.......

I am on my second Oster. First one was given to me used for a few years and I had it about 10. Finally it started making all kinds of noise no matter what I did. Then someone let the paddle slip into --and get battered by ( no pun intended)--the garbage disposal. After that it wouldn't stay in place when machine was running.

Bought a new Oster from Amazon. So far so good.

This is our homemade pizza dough recipe. It is our once a month super treat. We had it for Christmas dinner

1 cup warm water (between 95 and 115 F) I just use hot tap water, the pan cold pan brings the temp down
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3-1/2 cups flour
    2 tablespoons yeast (you can use less, but I like my pizza dough to be springy)

set machine to dough.
    roll out
    place in baking unit (we use a thick big skillet)
    fork pierce so you don't get big bubbles while baking
    add sauce
    cheeses
    meats

bake at 400 for about 25 minutes.

1/2 recipe
    1/2 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/8 cup oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1-3/4 cup flour
    1 tablespoon yeast
    Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 12-29-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    This is our homemade pizza dough recipe. It is our once a month super treat. We had it for Christmas dinner

1 cup warm water (between 95 and 115 F) I just use hot tap water, the pan cold pan brings the temp down
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3-1/2 cups flour

set machine to dough.
    roll out
    add sauce
    cheeses
    meats

1/2 recipe
    1/2 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/8 cup oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1-3/4 cup flour
    1 tablespoon yeast
    This sounds really good.

The full recipe has 1/2 cup of oil( seems like a lot) and the 1/2 version has 1/8 cup oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3-1/2 cups flour

set machine to dough.
    roll out
    add sauce
    cheeses
    meats

1/2 recipe
    1/2 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/8 cup oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1-3/4 cup flour
    1 tablespoon yeast
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Oh my. All of that fresh baked bread sounds so good. I have almost no control over freshly baked bread. I told my family never to buy me a bread machine unless they figured in the cost to have a wall removed from the house to get me out before my debut on "my 6oo pound life".
    Alyce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2