brine the turkey?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 PM

I defrost my frozen turkey in the sink, in the wrapper, in frequently changed cold water. It is stored overnight in the fridge breast side down.

In the morning the bird skin is dried off, buttered and salt and peppered. This year I put a cut up onion, celery and peeled orange into the cavity. Dressing was on the side.

It went into a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes to seal the skin and keep the juices in. Then temp was turned down to 325 for the remaining time. Breast was covered if the skin started to look too dried out (about 1/2 way through cooking) Check doneness (?) with thermometer.

The meat was soooo very moist. I think cold water defrosting makes it so.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM

I tried a brine this year for the first time. I thought the brown meat was a little salty, but the white meat was juicy, so I think it was the recipe I used (couldn't have been my fault;) ). I printed the recipe that Feline Fanatic posted here and will try that recipe next year.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 AM

For the last 2 thanksgivings i have dry brined our turkey and they has been the best turkeys I have done in 46 years of marriage.I always wanted a picture perfect turkey.

You know the beautiful brown that the juice runs from the breast meat when cut!!

I got it with dry brine.It was moist even when cold.

I read about it here.
http://www.latimes.com/theguide/holi...ok18-2009nov18,0,4954438.story

Try it. I will never cook a turkey any other way.
judy j
http://hardincountykeepsakes.blogspot.com/
http://classicclothdolls.blogspot.com/
Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I defrost my frozen turkey in the sink, in the wrapper, in frequently changed cold water. It is stored overnight in the fridge breast side down.

In the morning the bird skin is dried off, buttered and salt and peppered. This year I put a cut up onion, celery and peeled orange into the cavity. Dressing was on the side.

It went into a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes to seal the skin and keep the juices in. Then temp was turned down to 325 for the remaining time. Breast was covered if the skin started to look too dried out (about 1/2 way through cooking) Check doneness (?) with thermometer.

The meat was soooo very moist. I think cold water defrosting makes it so.
Actually most frozen birds are already pre-brined. If the package says "May contain up to xx% added moisture" or something like that it was soaked in a saline solution as part of the processing.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM

You can do it, but I wouldn't bother. I made the best turkey I've ever made this year, and it required NO BASTING.

I took a cube of butter (1/4 lb.) and let it sit out over night so it was very soft. Then I added 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and mushed it all together. Then I loosened the skin on the turkey and smeared the butter under the skin all over the turkey. (It helps to use a spoon. Spoon up a glob of butter and slide it under the skin. Use your fingers on TOP of the skin to slide the butter off the spoon, then spread it with your fingers on TOP. Otherwise, the butter just sticks to your hands and it's hard to get it onto the turkey.) Get as much of the butter under the skin as possible. Use whatever is left and smear it over the outside of the bird. The skin will be nice and crisp. The turkey will be dripping with moisture. You won't have to baste, and your turkey will get done faster because you won't need to open the oven door.

I learned this from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. Really. Try it! It tasted so good, and it was so easy.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 AM

I didn't have a pot large enough to hold the brine and the turkey so that it would be totally submerged in the brine so I used a big CLEAN plastic bag (garbage or black bag). Put the brine in first and shook it to make sure it was well mixed, than added the cleaned turkey, squeezed all the air out, and tied a heavy knot in the top of the bag. Put the bag in the bottom part of my roaster, put it in the refrigerator then let it sit overnight. Worked great. Roaster was already in the house, dumped the brine and used the garbage bag for all the garbage from the rest of the meal and the day.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

I haven't brined turky, but I do brine chicken and chicken pieces at times...love it when I do
Old 12-29-2010, 12:30 PM

We have been brining for a few years now and won't ever cook a turkey without. It makes it so super juicy and moist. To get the turkey to brown you need to pull it out of the brine, blot with dry paper towels and let rest for several hours before cooking to let the skin dry out a bit.

Other notes of interest. . . my husband has been cooking our turkey in a roasting pan in the BBQ grill for several years. This keeps my oven free for all the other dishes and turns out great. I think brining also reduces the cooking time by about 30 minutes (we use a digital thermometer to get it up to temperature). We brine by putting the bird in a thick trashbag or 6 gal. Ziploc (found at Ace Hardware and I use them to store quilts in too) in a large 5 gal bucket set in the fridge or garage (usually cold enough here and the critters cannot get into it) on the Monday before Thanksgiving to defrost and brine all at the same time.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Haven't cooked a turkey for several years now, but the last couple I wet brined, using my large, deep stockpot. But reading the article about dry bring sounds wonderful I will try it next time it's my turn to cook!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Yes, we have covered our turkey in bacon for years now. So nice to snack on the crispy slivers of delightful bacon while carving the turkey. I have also brined my turkey and it comes out very moist. Some people say that the flesh has a slightly salty flavour when done but I have never found this to be the case. Some people brine chickens and pork roasts and beef roasts. Personally, I like the flavour that the bacon gives the turkey and the brine preparation a bit time consuming but by all means, try it, you may prefer it.