Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Building ____________ with DH >

Building ____________ with DH

Building ____________ with DH

Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 AM

My husband and I built a wall unit before we were married for his apartment that became our apartment. I didn't do much but help hold things as he cut and glued/nailed them together. I think that was the only project that went well when we worked together. as others have said, men and women think differently and he definitely has his idea of how things are and my ideas are not the right ones.

I don't help him any more and our son is not usually happy about helping either, even though he does learn things.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 AM

I always enjoyed working on projects with my husband when we were younger. Absolutely only thing we should never have been allowed to do together was put up wallpaper. Only thing we ever fought about. I would always end up saying "just do what I say, and you will understand later". And he did.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Years ago, my husband was putting a new roof on the first level room when he went into a terrible asthma attack.

Son was about 9 or 10 at the time so he and I climbed out onto the roof and finished it....it was scary but had to be done.

and let me tell you....all those calluses I got doing the hammering, nailing, etc.....were worth every bang of the mallet.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM

I've worked with DH remodeling the last three houses. It was NOT fun, he tends to want to sit and think about all the worse case scenarios. I just want to "Do IT!"

Sometimes I would do it his way, then do it the "right way" which was mine, and resist saying "I told you so!"

He has now learned to listen to my ideas, and just "Do it"!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Unless DH needs my help with something I don't want to be involved when he's building anything. His shop is just as boring to me as my sewing room is to him. LOL
Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

My dh is a carpenter and we do work well together...some of the jobs we have done is a huge addition to a cottage, a double car garage, many decks which we love to do..plus the addtion here at home and our double car garage/shop.
He also made me my sewing table,cutting table, irioning board cover and my stand for my rulers ...oh and my thread holder too!!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 PM

I help out with his projects all the time. He helps pick out colors for my projects. He has an excellent eye for colors and patterns.

We have built fences together, sheds all kinds of stuff. Sure beats sitting in the house all day in front of the computer.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
Today I'm assisting DH with building nesting boxes. What have you helped your DH do? Do you find it interesting or as fun as I do?
No!!! no fun at all. I helped with building a two car garage and a bedroom on the second floor. Found the work extremely difficult and the dh too exacting as I was too slow. That was all many years ago but I never helped again.
:)
Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM

My Dh likes to make wood cabinets, shelves, etc. for our home. I have to make sure I keep an eye on the construction process because after we've agreed upon a design or size he tends to make changes that are very nice but they make the item unusable for our needs. If we only have room for a cabinet no wider than 24", making it 26 or 28" wide makes it too big for the space so we can't use it.

Years ago I used to do all the painting and wallpapering. Now I choose the colors and he paints the walls.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Working with my hubby on anything is not fun. In our first house he decided we should finish off the basement, which I had no problem with, however, in mid Nov. in NH it was very, very cold, so I didn't wander down very often. There was indeed a tremor in the force when he had been working on putting a wall up, I came downstairs and told him his wall was crooked. He argued, of course, but I was right, and he was ticked off. I did help with putting up the walls after that as well as nailing in all the dry wall and every sheet of paneling in that room (we're talking 70's here folks). We did finish it together and it wasn't bad. Second house, same thing, finish off the basement, all went well until we started to paint the walls, he hurt himself and left me with 2 toddlers putting paint sticks in the paint and dribbling it on the floor (fortunately it was covered with newspaper), but I told him to take the kids and I finished it myself. Toddlers and paint - a recipe for pandemonium. I can only work with him in small stages now, not like it used to be.