Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BUT it is not a Vera...grrrrrrr

I love fabric so I am naturally drawn to ANY beautiful fabric bag no matter what the brand. I do own a few VB tote bags which are an excellent quality and I admit they are pricy but QVC sells them at lower prices!! I also own a few other brands and I love them just as much!! If it's made of a beautiful print and quality fabric then I'll love it no matter what the brand. A rose by an other name.....!
    Last edited by nygal; 03-30-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellight View Post
    Vera Bradly bags are a quilted type bag made with prequilted material.
    They are "pretty", but in my world, they do not have enough pockets, and are not functioanl enough for my taste.
    My Aunt tried to get me to buy one when I visted her last year, and quite frankly I would not pay the price for something I would not have liked or used.
    I made the "Professional tote" early last year and received many compliments on it.
    I don't have a photo, but I used a remnant yard of Laurel Burch, with complimentary fabrics, and added more pockets.
    As you all said, it was one of a kind, and I got so many compliments on my bag.

Happy quilting
    Susan
    I am working on 2 professional totes right now, one for me and one for DIL for a diaper bag, they sure are nice !!!

I confess I am a Vera Bradley junkie, love the duffels for traveling. I have given them for Christmas presents.
    I have found some excellent prices on Ebay..
    I as well have seen really cute patterns for totes. I just prefer making quilts vs totes or purses...

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Fish View Post
    I have to admit vera bradley purses are made so well and very nice but just do not appeal to me...maybe just tooooo many of them around..like to see a pic of yours!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t215576.html

My "Vera".

I understand that the woman behind the name Vera Bradley grew up somewhere near Peoria, IL. I had not heard that she passed tho. The bags are fun and the designs of the purses, totes, etc are creatiive too.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Yes I agree that Vera Bradely opened up the fashion world for quilted bags . Up to then, leather was the default choice. I think Vera bags are not so much the design as the fabric. Amy butler or Kaffe Fasset fabric is great for quilted bags, too.

Blog Entries
    I bought VB bag at Goodwill and took it apart for the pattern and made one. It wasn't that easy for me. As far a price VB bags are the least inexpensive line of the purses many women are buying now.

I love Vera Bradley bags. Have you seen all the styles? Hallmark and Dillards do not carry all the different styles of bags. I never pay full price for VB. If you sign up on the website you will get emails when there is a sale. I buy when there is a 50% off the price. I like the frame purse the best and have many of them. There is a sale right now for 50% certain prints, no matter the style. And I washed one of my older ones in the washing machine. It looks like new. http://www.verabradley.com/category/...729/pc/785.uts
    Got fabric?

A few years ago, I was into making bags - paisley, etc., very Vera-like. So I sent my sister one for Christmas. She called me later laughing. When she opened the gift she thought I'd sprung for a VB until she saw my handmade tag that read "Purses by Pam". She carried it until it wore out.

Blog Entries
    I am not a purse snob at all but I do love Vera Bradley handbags. I have 3 right now and got them for a great price. Sometimes the VB website has 50% off of certain colors/prints that were from a previous season. I don't care if it is this season or not, just as long as I get a great price on it. LOL!!

I used to make my own quilted handbags but just don't have the time anymore.
    Sherri

Blog Entries
    When Vera got big a few years back, I was not having it. I didn't like the colors at all. Recently I saw a few colors that I liked, so I bought a purse and matching wallet. Loved them. Unfortunately they've discontinued my style purse. If I like a fabric enough, I'd have no problem taking apart one of my beloved 'retired' Vera purses and using it as a pattern for a new purse for me!
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    Funny how folks can love a status symbol thinking it is what makes them important. I love your story Sandygirl.

I have one Vera but didn't pay a lot for it. It is a great bag, but I can do that myself. I have the materials but finding the time is another deal. One day I will get to it and hope I do a good job so I can post a picture.
    Abiding in the Vine

I have to laugh--I've been buying my few "Vera" purses on clearance through their online clearance store. I never pay more than half price. I'm not good at making purses or you can bet I'd make my own!
    Karen in Kentucky

I have several bags that I have made that have been mistaken for VB. I am extremely rough on purses so I don't spend much on them. I'll get purses for a couple bucks at the thrift store so I can use their handles or buckles . If I ruin a purse I made (along with having all the matching accessories that I make), then I'm not out a bunch of money.

For those that love VB, enjoy them and happy use.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

I made my DD a purse and someone ask her if it was a VB bag. She said no, it is a Marge Cook bag. Too funny

Vera Bradley is now being manufactured in China. Yours was made in the USA! I, too, think Vera Bradley is over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
    Vera Bradley is now being manufactured in China. Yours was made in the USA! I, too, think Vera Bradley is over-rated.
    Those who can, sew.....those who can't...buy retail.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

You have to make 7 changes to the way you put it together or the design. I could take a picture of it but my card doesn't fit in my computer.

Vera B's are pretty. I won't spend the $$ again as I had a zipper break on a purse less than 3 months old and while I was told they would "take care of it," the shop wouldn't as it had to go through the company... call the company and they will take it from there. WELL, never could get through to a live person in spite of sitting on hold onseveral occasions for over an hour. Lesson learned!!! Homemade IS best!!!!!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL now I know why the DD wants me to make her a bag and a quilted bag.. LOL So she will have a one of a kind bag!LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

fMy sister has both. She has a Vera and she has one I made. She shared a flaw in the Vera's that mine do not have.
    When you put the bottom in (no matter what you make it out of: cardboard, foam board, etc.), round the corners. Otherwise, the corners eventually push through the fabric looking kind of shabby.
    Last edited by alwayslearning; 03-31-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: change law to flaw
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Reminds me of a woman I work with. I am a handknitter and I make my own socks. One woman I work with likes to buy novelty socks. So one day I am talking to a patient who was admiring my socks and marveling that anyone still knitted socks (I work with elderly) and this woman jumps into the conversation to say, "but look at my cute socks, they have pictures on them'. Yes, you and every other person that bought them are very special one of a kind people.

Quote Originally Posted by BMP View Post
    I am working on 2 professional totes right now, one for me and one for DIL for a diaper bag, they sure are nice !!!
    I made one Professional Tote for myself. I love it , but would like to have it just a couple of inches smaller...more like a purse. Have you ever tried to reduce the size of this pattern? I love it because it has a place for everything.
    Peace by Piece
    Diane

Blog Entries
    There is not sewing plant in the US anymore is there? I know a lot of high end items are being manufactured in Mexico now.
    Got fabric?

I was in the lobby of a hotel recently and was wondering at (and admiring!) all the large print fabric duffel bags that young people seemed to be carrying. Now I know!!

I am old enough to remember when Pierre Deux bags were the status symbol to carry, back in the early 80's. We made a connection with the manager of one of their stores and got their scraps to make quilts with - gorgeous fabric, at the time it was up to $27 a yard!! And you couldn't wash it. Then the upper management decided American quilts and French Provincial fabric were not a good mix, so that ended that.

I have a VB purse, given to me by daughter who is a "label" shopper. This gift purse has been my "summer" purse for these 5-6yrs now...and does wash well. At the time when she said it was a Vera I had no idea what she was talking about...but since then have learned! I doubt if I will buy another when this one wears out...but I am not a purse/tote sewer so I may. The prices of these "designer" purses seem to be a status guide......I do look at resale shops to see what I might find there..."label" shopper daughter has made mention of a few of my finds!

I know what VB bags are...my daughter loves them and bought me one for Mother's Day last year, which I love and use (although I have always felt that I could pick out prettier fabrics in the quilt shops!) .... but what is this "professional tote" that you gals mention? Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast