Butter or Margarine

Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
We switched to real butter long ago, its a natural product and the body knows what to do with it. Margarine is all fake and not good for ya.
Adding to my post, I get sick when I eat margarine,butter doesn't give me problems.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Most of the time I use unsalted butter for baking and Adelle Davis's "Better Butter" for the table, using this recipe: http://www.onceuponaplate1.com/2008/...-directly.html. We are supposed to watch cholesterol around here, and this stuff has half as much as much as butter. It is spreadable right out of the fridge and tastes fine. I use canola oil, but other non-hydrogenated oils are also okay, such as olive oil, if you like the flavor. I make a huge batch in the food processor and freeze some of it for later.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 PM

wow i just bought a new tub of country crock today at the store and was complaining to hubby all they had was a smaller tub of it ,because i usually buy the big one , i am switching to real butter thanks for all the info
Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Butter Margarine

Makes one think about lard vs. hydrogenated vegetable shortening and
"Topping" vs. whipped cream, doesn't it?
Polyester vs. cotton, wool vs. acrylics..........

A healthful diet and lifestyle vs. pills......
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

If you knew how many 'processed foods' were one molecule away from inedible products you wouldn't set foot in a grocery store. Homogenized milk is not fit for human consumption. Canned goods are loaded with chemicals from the metal of the cans. Microwaved anything in plastic or cardboard and you have chemical enriched food. The truth about our foods today is out there but there is no dollars in printing the facts. If you have processed deli meats or frozen steam in the bag vegetables in your fridge then no use giving up margarine.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM

"I use a pound of butter and with mixer, mix in a cup of Canola oil.......makes it much more spreadable right from fridge and just tastes like the butter."

Sounds like a great idea! Do you soften the butter first and then re-harden it? Have you ever tried any other oil?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

here is a good short video about the foods we are buying: http://www.hungryforchange.tv/
Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Suz

My husband 'slathers' his toast with butter (which means uses a lot). He goes to the gym 5 times a week. His chloresteral is off the bottom of the chart. The doctors tell him to exercise more.

As a rule, I do not eat butter and do not slather when I do. Otherwise, we eat almost identically. I go to the gym 3 times a week. My chloresteral is 200. Of course, the doctors want me on statins. No thanks.

Aside, my brother and cousin both died w/ALS. The first thing Dr. Simmons of Hershey Med did, was to take them off the statins. Both had debililtating muscle deterioration and breathing. Both were caused by those damned statins.

For a good resourse on health issues: go to Mercola.com or NaturalNews.com. Both provide us with some good information. Dr. Mercola has been on w/Dr. Oz.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
If you knew how many 'processed foods' were one molecule away from inedible products you wouldn't set foot in a grocery store. Homogenized milk is not fit for human consumption..
I will agree with you that many processed foods are not healthy.

I will NOT agree with your statement regarding homogenized milk.

And cannot let this left without clarification. It's important that the correct information is given as this is how "myth-understandings" about foods (and other things) are created.

Milk today is homogenized because the consumer in the past did not like the milk and butterfat (aka cream) separating. Some readers here, will remember the old cream top milk bottles, or will have heard about them.

Nothing is added to change milk when it is homogenized. To homogenize, the milk is put thru an ultra-fine screen in order to break the fat globules down, so that the milk and cream from separating.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Kudos to you QuiltE for setting the record straight on homogenized milk.