Buying a Mattress:(

Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 AM

Default Buying a Mattress:(

I'm wondering how many of you are sleeping on a mattress that isn't comfortable? If you love your mattress can you tell me why it works for you and the brand. How in the world do you figure out what you'll be comfortable on for 8 hours a night?
I have to buy a new mattress and it's driving me crazy! DH and I haven't had a good nights sleep for about 8 months. My problem is we've been sleeping on a feather bed for over thirty years but we don't sleep well on one now. We went out to the mattress stores Wednesday. DH was so uncomfortable he just stood and watched me lay on mattresses. There was no one in the store except the saleslady! I wanted to strangle him. So I went online and researched mattresses that are sold only online. I read 100s of reviews of foam, latex and hybrid mattresses. Still lost!
I can't sleep on a mattress that feels like I'm laying on the floor or a table. I need to sink in a little so it feels like floating in the ocean I'm also very sensitive to smells so I wonder about buying foam or latex.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 AM

I need a new mattress also. Fixed income so was out of the question. I bought a 3" memory foam mattress from Costco because I knew I could return it if I didn't like it. Read all the reviews and purchased one. It is white on one side and blue on the other. Anyway, I was waking up every day with a sore back. Have been sleeping on this for the last few weeks and I can't tell you what a great feeling NOT to wake up hurting. It isn't hot and it didn't smell. If I had to buy a regular mattress, I would get a memory foam.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

We have a sleep number bed/ mattress. Love it, I like it soft, my setting is 35, hubby likes it a bit more firm his setting is 60. We've had it for 5 years now. We can adjust it to our needs when ever. Has a remote to adjust each side. It has made a great difference in our sleep quality.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:54 AM
KLO

Boy, Thank you for asking this question. Last year we bought from Saatva online. It was an easy process and the company is very customer friendly. However, now that we have had it for a bit, we do not like it at all. It's a bit too soft for us but the main reason I don't like it is because every time my bed mate moves or rolls over, I bobble up and down like I am floating in the ocean. Might as well have a water bed but that is why I don't! We are talking about looking into a Sleep Number bed but the reason we did not get one this time was due to a fair amount of negative reviews. I will be watching and reading this post for reviews.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM

We have a "generic temper-pedic mattress" with a 3" memory foam topper. We bought it 8 years ago and it is still comfy. It is so comfortable that when my head hits the pillow, I am out like a light.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:28 AM

I slept in a waterbed for years and had to give it up when I moved into an apartment. I tried many at different stores and finally settled on one that (I thought) was reasonably comfortable. I hate it and haven't had a good night's sleep since. I can't afford to try to replace it. It's been almost 4 years.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 AM

I hate the memory foam mattress I bought last year. I can not roll over easily in it and my hips hurt after about 2 hours. I end up sleeping in the spare room on a roll away bed! I am ready to just purchase a blow up mattress! So I have no answer for you make sure there is a return policy
Old 04-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

It's too bad one can't try a mattress for atleast 3-6 months. The mattress we have now was a going out of business sale. The hubs laid on it for about 5 minutes and said it was good enough for him. I didn't think it was any different than the one we currently had at that time. We didn't have it 4 months (the furniture store had gone out of business) and it virtually broke down on both side. I could make the bed and you could see the indentation. Now neither one of us weighs 200 #. We called the manufacturer but since it was an older mattress like 3 years in the store they wouldn't do anything about it. We got a 4x6 piece of 1/2" plywood to put under it. Worse mattress I ever had. Our prior mattress wasn't this bad when we donated it to the curb. It was readily picked up by the neighborhood dumpster diver. He always starts his day near our house. Often I feel like I'm sleeping in a bucket.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Our mattress is about 10 yrs old. It was not cheap! I do not find it overly comfortable. DH is better about it but then again, he's like a horse and can sleep standing up! We are both leaning towards the sleep number when we replace this. I, too, like a softer mattress than DH.

Be careful about the height of the box spring as well. Our mattress (22" thick - read very expensive sheets! /box spring) are so tall that we both need to climb into bed! DH is almost 6' tall! At the time, half-height box springs were available but we were clueless. And since they have the set ups so low in the stores, you would never really notice.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:10 PM

My son recently replaced his 15+ year old mattress. We recommended a memory foam since my DH and I got one in the fall and like it. He got a Cocoon by Sealy (you can google that). It was an "Oprah" pick and he LOVES it. They have a 100 day money back guarantee and it ships right to your house. They have a cool video on their web site that shows how it springs to life out of the box. Memory foam is not for everyone, but we had been sleeping on a pillow top that had formed "trough's" and that was killing my back so I wanted to try something different. No regrets!