Shower curtians and liners

Old 07-30-2018, 02:26 AM

Default Shower curtians and liners

I have been looking for a new shower curtains and liners. I want them to be washable and mildew and mold resistant. But I do not want plastic at all. But I also want them to add color to the bath room since the room is basically beige. I have been looking on the web for the last two week and that has not helped me much! So I was wondering if you ladies would mind sharing what kind of shower curtain you have and how it has worked out for you? Would love to know the brand name and what it is made of that would really help me!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:42 AM

I got mine at Walmart. The inner one is plain white and hangs inside the tub; the outer one is patterned and hangs outside the tub. Both are cloth and I wash the inner one every week. I have a couple so I'm never short.
My local Walmart has a very good selection of the outer ones. Don't be swayed by curtains that come with magnets at the bottom corners. They will stick to the washer and dryer walls and rip out in a few washes.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I got a nice set at Bed Bath and Beyond. They hold up well and are very easy to clean.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:08 AM

I got a set at Bed, Bath and Beyond. My bathroom is beige also and got a very pretty soft curtain with mint green and some coral colors. Love it.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:17 PM

I got mine at Target. The liner is polyester, feels like a nice soft fabric. The outer curtain a woven texture, feels like cotton, but I can't read the label while it is hanging. They both wash up nicely and dry in the dryer. I wash in warm water and use Oxiclean, regardless of what the label may say I've had them for a couple of years, no problem with mold or mildew at all. I think that the liner fabric dries so quickly that it helps prevent those problems. Mine are white but I would guess they have other colors. Target has good online shopping service, if you don't have one near you.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 AM

Fifteen years ago, I made a shower curtain using “quilting fabric” from Walmart. I used a panel and a coordinating fabric to make a window and framed it woth the other fabric. It was mostly grass green and navy, with touches of blue and mustard with kitties on it. I took an extra panel and made a window curtain. They hung in my master bath until last month when I decided they had outlived my like of them. When I took them down, the curtain was severely degraded by the sunshine on the backside, and the sun had done it’s job on it (the shower curtain fabric was too degraded to use for anything too). When I got it down and really looked, the sunshine was fading it rapidly, so my timing was perfect. I used them from the day they were made, and kept a clear liner under the fabric of the shower curtain, and got fifteen years of use out of them with no mold problem, so I got my money’s worth from them. It was sad to say goodbye, but time marches on. My new shower curtain is nylon in a space nebulae print. I love it (it had the right green to match the walls) and my new window curtain has a galaxy of stars on it. I would make another using better quality cotton again in a heartbeat. Fifteen years of enjoyment is a great return.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-31-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:12 PM

Target has shower curtains now for $8.99. At that price, you can replace it in 6 months if you don’t like it.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

I just bought new liners from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are fabric and wash up well.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:56 AM

Thankyou ladies! You have given me a lot of good advise and I appreciate it. Now off to do some shopping for them!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 PM

I just buy a very cheap liner at Walmart - just a couple of dollars usually - and when it starts to "turn" then I just throw it away and get a new one. I have a regular outside-of-the tub shower curtain that matches my bathroom and I only wash it once in awhile.