Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
can anyone identify this plant? >

can anyone identify this plant?

can anyone identify this plant?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
We call them Datura. Don't know if that is the correct name for them. I believe that they are possibly poisonous..so be careful of them around children and pets. My mom used to grow them. I think they are related to Angel Trumpets. They die back in the winter here in Alabama but are easy to grow from seeds the next year. The blooms are very pretty, aren't they?
This plant is DATURA and also goes by Jimson Weed.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 PM

Yes, definitely a moonflower.

Originally Posted by redquilter View Post
Looks like it could be moonflower. I'll take some! It's so pretty.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM

They sure are moonflowers!!! Have had them in my garden for 50+ years and in my parents garden all of my growing up years. They go through beautiful stages as they open and in the morning the kind of curl back around themselves before finally closing up and drying and then falling off leaving the prickly pod that are "full" of seeds.
The blooms only last for one day, much like the daylily. I did hear in the last year or two that the seeds are a halucigen.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:35 AM

Default Moonflowers

Originally Posted by OldHairTwister View Post
They sure are moonflowers!!! Have had them in my garden for 50+ years and in my parents garden all of my growing up years. They go through beautiful stages as they open and in the morning the kind of curl back around themselves before finally closing up and drying and then falling off leaving the prickly pod that are "full" of seeds.
The blooms only last for one day, much like the daylily. I did hear in the last year or two that the seeds are a halucigen.
We in Northern Ireland have this WEED and it runs through the hedges and everywhere it can. I got it in my garden through bringing soil in from a farm and it is a real pain. I have had to did out a complete flower bed to try and get rid of it. It curls itself round plants and chokes all in front of it. The roots travel below the soil and they is very hard to kill with weed killer but I will persevere until I see the last of it. I did have Datura last year which I had as house plant and it was beautiful with large trumpet flowers in pink but it died off and I didn't know to save the seeds.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 AM

Default Blue moon flower

I have blue ones in my garden and th white ones too.
Attached Thumbnails dscn1106.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 AM

I think it is a Moonflower.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:34 AM

Here we call them Moonflowers. And yes they are poisonous BUT if you are that dumb to eat or otherwise try to get HIGH then you are just dumb. Rhubarb(leaf) is poisonous, foxglove, narcissus, ... the list goes on. That's why they are bitter so we know NOT to eat them. Enjoy the blooms and the fact they come back. For some reason mine did not winter over so I have to baby the one I have so I can get it to seed over for next year.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 AM

moon flower is a vine. beautiful and sweet smelling. this is datura, a weed found in many fields in my area. the flower is awesome and most of the time kind of stinks. it is poisonus! some teenagers make a tea and drink it almost causing their death
Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull View Post
These are not Datura. It has smaller flowers and the throat is purple. Datura is what farmers call Jimson weed and grows in old hog lots. My daughter found one growing in her flower garden in town, and likes it so it is not a weed to her. We had these that you are calling Moon flowers growing when I grew up and called them Flowering Jimsons. My friend calls them Moon Flowers so I would think that is what they are.

Please google Datura. Those pictures are those of the Datura - the horticultural name for them. You have to be so careful because that plant that is pictured, those that are called Datura are poisonous. Rather not even grow Moonflowers if there is any doubt. Please. Edie
Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
All the plants mentioned, except the Moonflower Vine are related. They are all members of the Datura family and are all poisonous. Jimpson weed may be the original wild member of the family, but I am not sure of that. Angel Trumpets, Devil's Trumpet, and many other names are given to the various cultivars.
As a rule the Angel's Trumpets are not hardy, even from seed, in the colder climates and are usually grown as house plants or in greenhouses.
The plant in the photo, is a common Datura that readily reseeds itself in northern gardens even tho it dies back to the ground every winter.
As with ALL Daturas, they are very poisonous and should be grown with caution. They are lovely tho, and have a wonderful scent in the cooler evening and morning hours.
I had them in my garden until one of my teen daughter's friends decided to make tea from the seeds and ended up in the hospital. Thankfully he survived but it was touch and go for a while there. He had seen on TV a show warning people that the plant could be used to get high on, but that it was very poisonous. Apparently there had been some problems recently with teens doing that, so the TV news showed all about how to do it, in warning of not to. Sheesh. Needless to say, that plant was immediately gone from my garden forever after.
I am from Minnesota and they grow here. From seed. I know - I grew them one year. The blossom was beautiful and then someone told me how poisonous they are and I pulled them out immediately. Good Gravy Marie, poison is poison - golf course, back yard, behind a fence.