Can I buy your car scam

Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Unless I look out and actually see a family member, I answer the door with my .38, pulled and loaded, and with my Remington 12 ga. pump shotgun at the door too...as well as my three dogs who will bite anyone they don't know...and everyone in my neighborhood has been warned, so I don't have any problems. Something similar to this happened to the kids' elderly aunt...two of them,one in the front and one in the back, stole her jewelry and some more stuff...I offered to teach her to shoot but instead, she went to her next door neighbor (he's retired and looks after her a lot...), and told him what happened...he said he could guarantee that wouldn't happen again...and you know what? I believe him! So yep, whatever it takes...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Wow how sad is this our economy is so bad that stuff like this has to happen and how desperate ppl are these days to make a buck anyway they can. Too bad making money is done easier when stealing or hurting others rather than have a job and earn it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 PM

We had something like this going on in my neighborhood. They would walk up and try to get the vin number off the dash board. They then get another title and come and tow your car off. If you call the police, they just say they are repossing it. If you see them and open your front door, then they ask if you want to sell. So be aware of this scam, too.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
They would walk up and try to get the vin number off the dash board. They then get another title and come and tow your car off.
How the heck do they get a duplicate title?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM

I dont open the door to anyone I dont know. If I am not expecting anyone, I grab the phone and hold it to my ear as though I am talking to someone, go to the window and say who is it, what do you want. NEVER OPEN THE DOOR>...that is my opinion.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

I happened to call my son in Texas last night for his Birthday and they had been sitting outside enjoying the evening. a couple walked up to them and asked for a bottle of water. why? if they were out walking, wouldn't they just go home when thirsty or bring their own bottle. I immediately got worried but he said they were given a bottle of water and they went about their walk. odd!!! Texans are usually very friendly. i guess i've lived elsewhere toooo long.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 AM

I've been saying for sometime now that I don't want to go back to the "good old days" because they didn't have microwaves and dishwashers (and women had to wear dresses). BUT, I sure would like to go back to the time when we didn't have to be so afraid of someone knocking at our door!!!!!! I live in the country --- someone would really have to work hard to get out here...........I don't think I could live in the city again, but I know the day will come when DH and I won't be able to take care of our place and we'll have to. Good for you for being so cautious!!! And I hope you nail the xxxxx's.