Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can I give my cat Tetracycline Hydrochloride {Duramycin-10? >

Can I give my cat Tetracycline Hydrochloride {Duramycin-10?

Can I give my cat Tetracycline Hydrochloride {Duramycin-10?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bard,California
Posts: 697
Default

My cat {actually have more than 1} has a eye infection (or something).No $$ for a vet till next tuesday.I bought a bag of this stuff from a feed-store.But don't know if I can give it,they say yes,not a problem.And how much?I used it once before yrs ago,but forgot the amount.I put it in their water back then.But with this,I'd rather put it in their food to make sure their getting it.I think for the water it was 1 or 3 TBS pr gallon.But honestly don't remember.It is starting to spread to the others.I've had it before,and seen it before,but one looks like he don't feel good.They need this medicine.But can't fine anywhere on the net,how much to give them.I'd want like a measurment for 1/2 gal of water.Or anything else I could get? This is an antibiotic for animal use only.In a yellow and white 10g bag.My animals have never been sick,ever.My cats are 6 yrs old.My dog is 13yrs old.They haven't had a vet visit except for spay and neuter,and vaccines,tone nail clip a couple of times.Other than that.Their pretty healthy.And spoilt rotten!At night they all line up on me like a bunch of piglets on a sow.And summer's coming,goody!Thanks
Xylie55 is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
janedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canterbury uk
Posts: 1,036
Default

Because I didn't know what it was looked it up on the net and got loads of places for treatment of cats - looks like 9mg per pound of animals weight - suggest you have another look on internet - hope this helps and your cats get better soon - know what it feels like to have a poorly pet and struggling to make the vets bill!!
janedee is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 AM
  #3  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 10,568
Default

You have to be 100% sure this is a bacterial infection and not viral. Even though you have seen symptoms that resemble this before (like and upper resp. infection, AKA URI)it may not be the same. Indiscrimnate use of livestock antibiotics, which this is, in cats and dogs is not a good thing. Using antibiotics like this is what causes resistant strains of bacteria to crop up and there is possible risk of infection to humans. I understand you do not have the $$ for a vet but please, please, please, seek the advice of a professional. What you got at the feed store is intended to use in livestock and chickens and such. I have used this in chickens in their water as you describe, I would never dream of giving it to my pets without veterinary supervision.
feline fanatic is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bard,California
Posts: 697
Default

Originally Posted by janedee
Because I didn't know what it was looked it up on the net and got loads of places for treatment of cats - looks like 9mg per pound of animals weight - suggest you have another look on internet - hope this helps and your cats get better soon - know what it feels like to have a poorly pet and struggling to make the vets bill!!
Oh,well maybe that's why.I was looking up the duramycin-10/tetrcycline,not eye disorders in cats.I did find sites on that.The say they need eye ointment,from a vet.I'll keep looking,maybe call the pet smart.Thank you so much,I should of looked there 1st,but was thinking about this medicine.
Xylie55 is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
ssgramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 2,024
Default

I had a blind cat and learned to use organic chammomile tea. He got freq eye problems and most of the time a few days of gently wiping it with a dampened cotton pad would keep us from needing the Vet.

I made the tea strong - about a 1/3 c of water to 1 tea bag, let cool and cover. It's good to use for a couple days before making fresh.

They sell it at most groceries.
ssgramma is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bard,California
Posts: 697
Default

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
You have to be 100% sure this is a bacterial infection and not viral. Even though you have seen symptoms that resemble this before (like and upper resp. infection, AKA URI)it may not be the same. Indiscrimnate use of livestock antibiotics, which this is, in cats and dogs is not a good thing. Using antibiotics like this is what causes resistant strains of bacteria to crop up and there is possible risk of infection to humans. I understand you do not have the $$ for a vet but please, please, please, seek the advice of a professional. What you got at the feed store is intended to use in livestock and chickens and such. I have used this in chickens in their water as you describe, I would never dream of giving it to my pets without veterinary supervision.
Thank you so much.That's why I was looking all over about it 1st.Well,I do have a friend that works with a vet finding homes for animals so they don't have to go to the pound.And they do neuter clinics and such.I just thought about her after your reply.I'll call her and see if I can use the one she works with.Hope he ain't from 200 miles away and only comes on clinic days which is 2 X a month.Thanks so much.
Xylie55 is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bard,California
Posts: 697
Default

Originally Posted by ssgramma
I had a blind cat and learned to use organic chammomile tea. He got freq eye problems and most of the time a few days of gently wiping it with a dampened cotton pad would keep us from needing the Vet.

I made the tea strong - about a 1/3 c of water to 1 tea bag, let cool and cover. It's good to use for a couple days before making fresh.

They sell it at most groceries.
Thank you so much.
Xylie55 is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 AM
  #8  
Power Poster
 
nativetexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: home again, after 27 yrs!
Posts: 19,388
Default

good grief NO. please ck with a VET before giving your cat anything. people medication is not safe for animals. please check first!!
nativetexan is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM
  #9  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 17,068
Default

If you don't have money till next Tuesday couldn't you explain this to your vet??
I think that furbaby needs to be looked at. I wouldn't take a chance.
sueisallaboutquilts is offline  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bard,California
Posts: 697
Default

Originally Posted by nativetexan
good grief NO. please ck with a VET before giving your cat anything. people medication is not safe for animals. please check first!!
Thank you so much.This isn't people medicine,it's for animal use only.It's a antibiotic for animals only.
Xylie55 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cherrio
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
40
12-15-2010 07:44 PM
kwhite
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
33
05-04-2010 12:17 PM
k3n
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
6
10-19-2009 06:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.