Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can somebody help me with windows 8?  Can't find print >

Can somebody help me with windows 8? Can't find print

Can somebody help me with windows 8? Can't find print

Old 11-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by QKO View Post
New Win8 is a LOT faster on pretty much any computer it'll run on. Some things are in different places, but once you learn them, you'll probably like it.

A couple of tips - 1) to find different settings or applications, use the search facility. Press the windows button on keyboard to go to home screen, move cursor to upper or lower right corner and on the popout that appears, click on the magnifying glass icon. You can then search on apps, settings, etc. For instance, to change a default printer, click on settings and search on "default printer." Then click on what appears on left.

2) To power down or restart - same thing, move cursor to upper or lower right corner of screen, click on Settings in the popout, then click on Power at bottom of screen.

3) For normal work, it's easy to use the old interface, just click on the Desktop icon on the main screen.
Thank you so much for this info. I searched around based on your words & discovered a lot of new things. Mow if I can just learn a few more things before they decide to chg. it all again. LOL
Old 11-27-2013, 07:30 AM

here is a link that I just got in my email, hopefully you can open it. I have signed up for her emails, she is pretty good.

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=15417

I get her daily email for windows then her weekly email for Apple.

Anyway here are some good tips that she just posted for Windows 8

verna2197
Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM

ok ladies I have to admit, I couldn't take Windows 8 any longer, I broke down and purchased Windows 7 and it will be put on my computer here real soon. Just as soon as I get it in the mail. I really and truly hate Windows 8, I just couldn't figure out how to do anything and was getting real tired of having to call someone and ask them. So I will admit I am putting Windows 7 Ultimate on this computer and taking Windows 8 completely off.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM

I got and email from HP a few days ago that said that you now had the option of Win 7 or 8 when you purchase a computer from them. They said it was in response to customers wanting Win 7 because they didn't like Win 8.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM

I took a 6 hour class at our adult school and felt I now knew how to use Windows 8 but, of course, when I got home it didn't work. Our instructor said not to download 8.1 - that it wasn't much better and we would lose a lot of things. Costco tech told me the same thing. I guess you have to sign up all over again and I have already installed Office 2013 so I sure don't want to lose that. I had Vista before and never had any problems with it. I wish I had never gotten it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 PM

We hadn't been using the new computer with Windows 8 because we hated it so much but recently our son told up to download classic shell & boy what a difference-like old Windows.
Check out www.classicshell.net
My husband had gotten the site name from the computer guy at work & we didn't check but then when our son said to go ahead we came home that evening & did it. We can actually use the computer now. Still don't love it.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM

I had that on my computer it does make it someone like windows 7 but there was still stuff I couldn't do. My printer never would work with it. I finally just gave up and got me windows 7 to put on the computer.