Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can somebody help me with windows 8?  Can't find print >

Can somebody help me with windows 8? Can't find print

Can somebody help me with windows 8? Can't find print

Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 AM

I have Windows 8 and hate it, too. I do use Ctrl/P to print. I can't stand when I get something on a black screen and there are no tiles or icons to do anything with it!!!

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I also have windows 8 and HATE it!! Everything I want to do I have to go into programs, device, or setting, all I wanted to do was save on my flash drive and had to call windows 8 support 1-800-642-7676. Anyone know how to get 8 off my new laptop and put 7 on it?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 AM

I downloaded 8.1, too. Had even more problems after that. Had to call support. I hate the background screen and called them to ask how to change it. I did whatever they told me, got a new screen but the next time I went to use computer, the other screen was back. I rebooted and still got the screen I didn't like.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I have Googled "how to ...." to find out how to do something on Windows 8. Have also used the "Help" and "Search" options on Windows 8 to figure out some stuff. It really helps to have someone else show you the basics, though.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 AM

love windows eight and I am 80 years old. found it easy to explore. just right click for printing option.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM

I can't print with this new computer, I can't unzip, I can't use open PDF files with a PDF reader. This new 8.1 windows really really sucks. Like I said before I have downloaded Classic Shell and that makes it almost just like Windows 7, I can tolerate it now, but if I had a Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit disc, I would change it in a heartbeat. My disc to my old computer is 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM

I hate Windows 8! With a passion! Luckily my old computer still worked so I could look up how to operate Windows 8. I've basically found sites that let me download programs that lets my computer look and operate like Windows 7. Early on I spent hours trying to get to know the 8's features but it all seemed like a BIG step backwards so I went with the Windows 7 options. I may like 8 better if I had the touch screen feature but the store in my small town didn't sell that model. I don't think it sure have ever been marketed without the touch screen. Windows 8 is the most unfriendly program ever invented and perpetrated on the public.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM

I don't have windows 8. My 99 year old FIL needed a new computer and that's what it came with. I have managed to teach him how to get to e-mail and finally found an on-line solitaire game. Every computer I bought in the past 25 years came with Solitaire -- Windows 8 doesn't (as near as I can tell). The cross - platform touch screen garbage skews a lot younger than most of us, and the original design was not for a standard PC, it was for a tablet or a cell phone etc. Since it is hard to get a new computer without Windows 8 now, treat your old one nicely. Maybe we could punish the folks at Microsoft by making them fix the Healthcare website. And have the folks who screwed that up fix Windows 8.Then nothing will work ever!!! Anyone got a treadle sewing machine? Needle and thread? Sharp stick? Now is not the time to be an early adopter, that's for sure.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 PM

I purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 and am getting along well. It is different but one just has to be patient and adjust. I use Google whenever I have a problem and have been able to find an answer in most instances. Tonight I got my screen turned at a 90 degree angle and had to figure out how to get it back. I used Google to search for my answer and found a way to straighten it out quick and easy. If you want to change the background on your screen go into desktop, control panel, and change desktop background. Choose what you want and be sure to save the changes. You can apply patterns, solid color, or some of your own pictures and can use the entire screen or just the center portion so it will not cover your icons. You can also change the color of the screen that surrounds the pattern or picture that you have chosen. I also downloaded Window 8.1. I had to re-enter some of my passwords and change the color of my background, etc. but no other problems. There is a book called "Windows 8 for Dummies" and I was told it could be downloaded to my computer but I find that Google works great when I have a question that I can not answer. Just make sure you specify Windows 8 in your search. Don't give up on finding an answer when you have a problem. I too had a problem figuring out how to print but I did a Google search and found the answer. I just keep learning.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Try control P. I dislike Windows 8 immensely
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It helps a lot if you can have someone show you a few things on Window 8. I would have been completely lost without my dh. Now I'm pretty much used to it.
Please send your dh for about a week.