can you do math?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM

i learned a lot more about math while quilting than i learned in school, maybe because do it while makeing a quilt is not as boring as sitting in a classroom waiting for the bell to ring
Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
OK, I am no math expert either, i can do 2 + 2 and multiply and divide after that forget it, I have a son in his thirties and he went back to school and had to learn physics, geometry and calcules (not sure of the spelling) and he did it, i don't know how but he did. Such a smart young man, he takes after me of coarse.
Now with that said can someone answer me a question, the topic right before this one was "Pet Peeves" i wasn't able to respond, but noticed at the top it said "LOCKED" is that why??? And why did they do that or how?? Was wondering have seen too many because I just started in November. Thank You
Locked because people 's pet peeves were spelling and grammer. It was hurting feelings, and I can understand that. When your fingers and your brain don't always work together you get some different typos or people speak like what they've heard.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM

I have taught math at the college level and now I tutor. Most classes I gave a final project. I gave them a quilt design and they had to figure out how much fabric of each color and how much it would cost according to sale flyers I gave them.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by samifel
I have taught math at the college level and now I tutor. Most classes I gave a final project. I gave them a quilt design and they had to figure out how much fabric of each color and how much it would cost according to sale flyers I gave them.
That's really good because then they will be able to see what math really is good for after school! I have also heard of sports math... figuring out stats, like for baseball. I think that's a great way to let kids see the practical applications.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:06 PM

I hate math, and have put many good math teachers in their graves. I get so mad when my DH preaches to me how easy math is. I don't have any place for it in my brain. I do all kinds of artistic things, so there is no room for anything else. I love quilting and most of the time I don't need help, but always have my quilts come out larger then what they should be. but least they are streight etc. can't spell either hehe.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Most math is impossible for me. I have a strange problem called "dyscalcula" --Its just like dyslexia, but with numbers. I can do some math, but I draw lots of pictures and use lots of paper --very slowly. Sadly, my 20 year old niece has the same problem...she was diagnosed early in her schooling, and they were able to help her. I, on the other hand, didn't find out what my problem was until I went to college at 36 years old. The testing psychologist on campus found my problem, and got me a "SB214a" allocation. Basically, its a Senate bill that negates the math requirements for any degree that I acheive...I have to take extra science classes in exchange. My husband helps me out with the really tricky stuff, and I can follow written directions really well! I've learned to work around my weird little problem, and it doesn't bother me that much now!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:34 PM

LOVE math!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Love,Love math. Always have since high school. In my second year of high school I was a teachers aid in accounting. I was in bank management for years before I retired. I think that is why I love quilting so much, because of all the math involved.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM

You guys are doing math every time you're buying fabric, cutting fabric up, etc. Math isn't hard, you just need to realize it's easier than you think. Besides, everybody uses a calculator these days. I grew up with a slide rule - never did well then! :-) DH was in the Slide Rule Club in high school - he's now a PhD in Computer Science!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:39 PM

I'm nopt too bad at basic math but algabra is totally foreign to me.