Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you handle looking at another cat pic? >

Can you handle looking at another cat pic?

Can you handle looking at another cat pic?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Cyn

I'm not sure about this being a trait but we didn't pick ours up as kittens and all but one doesn't want to be carried. One will let you pick her up and turn her over like a baby. The vet told me it was a sign how comfortable they are with you to let you turn them over. I was also told you could tell how much of a people lover they are by picking them up. All I know for sure is my cats are all over us and our stuff but it has to be on their terms :)
Originally Posted by ragqueen03
how cute! i was never a cat lover till we got our "allie" but she is my baby! one question for all you with cats - our allie does not like to be held at all!!! but she wants to be near us. she will walk up and let us pet her but forget picking her up! a friend told me she had a tabby that was the same way - just wondering is this a common personality trait with tabbies?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Nativetexan, your 3 cats look very comfortable.
I have tabbies, and most of them don't want to be picked up, but a couple can't get enough cuddling.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM

I've had several tabbies over the years. They would come to you when they wanted affection and stay by you but would not crawl into your lap. My Pumpkin (medium long haired black cat-17.5 yrs and counting) is becoming more and more of a lap cat. When she was a kitten, I was afraid she would get into my cross-stitch and quilting stuff and do herself harm so I discouraged her from being a lap cat. Now, she will be there whether or not you want her to be. She allows me to rub her tummy and carry her like a baby but she still doesn't like alot of different people. It took her years to love my mother and it is odd because my mother is an animal magnet. Anyway, love your helpers lots and give them an extra pet from me.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 PM

now, consider this!
When the boy comes out to the bunkhouse, he has ALWAYS been able to roll Peanut over on to his back, holding him in mid-air, rather than sitting on the couch, or whatever.
We got Peanut when he was about four weeks old (our vet figured) and so he was bottle fed, and handled quite a lot for the first few weeks, but he is an independent thinker.
And, yet - - he does have the relationship with the boy - - for Omakdaddy and myself - - not so much, and he LIVES with us 24/7, only seeing the boy for a few minutes at a time and then not every day.
*** mysterious cat thing, maybe?*** <wave>