Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you Recommend a Mandoline? >

Can you Recommend a Mandoline?

Can you Recommend a Mandoline?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 AM

I have one by Tyler Florence, bought it at a chef's store and love it. When it comes to slicing potatoes for frying or for homemade chips, it is the only way to go. There are extra blades, it has a holder that will protect your fingers and knuckles. It is stainless steel, easy clean-up. The Food Network has a great store to purchase about anything for use in a kitchen. I got mine for $80 abut 4 years ago. Stay away from plastic.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM

I thought about the Food Network, but my husband is still ticked about their coffee cups .. they are the only ones we have ever had that turned brown after the first cup of coffee was in them. They were suppose to be white, so that had turned us off the Food Network items.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 AM

I did forget to say that not using the mandoline prob had something to do with having a Salad Shooter. I rarely use it either but it's great when I need it for a large party dish.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
I did forget to say that not using the mandoline prob had something to do with having a Salad Shooter. I rarely use it either but it's great when I need it for a large party dish.
I still have my salad shooter. A good friend got it for me about 20 years ago and I just didn't have the heart to get rid of it. Whenever we would have a family dinner/potluck, I was always asked to bring a salad. Everyone liked how things were sliced so thin and the carrots were shredded, it was just the greatest helper at the time. Now I have my Cuisanart Pro and love it, also I have a chopper/dicer from Williams-Sonoma, that works great for chopping tomatoes, onions, boiled eggs, etc. It is easy to use and clean. When we have tacos and need diced onions and tomatoes, that is what I use. Just slice a tomato in half,lay it down on the grate, push the top down and it is done. Plus you don't have to worry about an outlet, it uses no power.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat
Pampered Chef has a really nice one for around $60.
thats the one i have..love it.