Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you Recommend a Mandoline?

I am looking for a mandoline (not a mandolin, I can't play a musical instrument!). The prices and quality vary so much, I thought I'd ask if any of you have one and what you like or dislike about it. I am trying to keep the price under $100. I want to be able to do straight, crinkle, julienne and waffle slices.

Thanks!

Make sure you have a guard on it, (sometimes a knob to hold) or fingers will be julienned.

Blog Entries
    Pampered Chef has a really nice one for around $60.

I liked all of the products that I have bought from Pampered Chef!

Check your local thrift stores.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    this is what i own it does not do everything you desire but its compact and sharp Kuhn Rikon Quick Slice Mandoline Slicer Cutter

I used to have one and almost NEVER used it. It always seemed easier to just use my good chef's knife. Of course no waffling :-)

Gave it to DIL years ago and she doesn't use it either!

IMO - too spendy for living in the cupboard.

I suggest a Food Processor. Those things are deadly to fingers, fingertips. I almost lost the tip of one of my fingers to that evil creation. I was even using the so called guard when it slipped and my finger hit the blade.

And y'all think that the rotary blades are sharp, these things are sharp like a scalpel.

I have heard bad reviews about the pampered chef, seems the safety is overboard to the point of rendering the mandoline useless. I hate the food processor, it definitely doesn't provide the cuts I am looking for. The knives are o.k., but I am really looking to get uniform slices. The Kuhn Rikon isn't even close to what I am looking for. Does anyone have the Oxo Stainless Steel mandoline? It runs about $100, or $80 with the Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon.

I have one I bought at KMart about 30 years ago! it is cheap plastic, was a blue-light, $5 special and is still in good shape. I rarely use it, but when I need it, it's perfect.

I have one by Tyler Florence, bought it at a chef's store and love it. When it comes to slicing potatoes for frying or for homemade chips, it is the only way to go. There are extra blades, it has a holder that will protect your fingers and knuckles. It is stainless steel, easy clean-up. The Food Network has a great store to purchase about anything for use in a kitchen. I got mine for $80 abut 4 years ago. Stay away from plastic.

I thought about the Food Network, but my husband is still ticked about their coffee cups .. they are the only ones we have ever had that turned brown after the first cup of coffee was in them. They were suppose to be white, so that had turned us off the Food Network items.

I did forget to say that not using the mandoline prob had something to do with having a Salad Shooter. I rarely use it either but it's great when I need it for a large party dish.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    I did forget to say that not using the mandoline prob had something to do with having a Salad Shooter. I rarely use it either but it's great when I need it for a large party dish.
    I still have my salad shooter. A good friend got it for me about 20 years ago and I just didn't have the heart to get rid of it. Whenever we would have a family dinner/potluck, I was always asked to bring a salad. Everyone liked how things were sliced so thin and the carrots were shredded, it was just the greatest helper at the time. Now I have my Cuisanart Pro and love it, also I have a chopper/dicer from Williams-Sonoma, that works great for chopping tomatoes, onions, boiled eggs, etc. It is easy to use and clean. When we have tacos and need diced onions and tomatoes, that is what I use. Just slice a tomato in half,lay it down on the grate, push the top down and it is done. Plus you don't have to worry about an outlet, it uses no power.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieKat
    Pampered Chef has a really nice one for around $60.
    thats the one i have..love it.