Canadian buyers

Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by alwaysdreaming
Just a question to sellers on the board. Why do some sellers put "only ship to US addresses"? I saw a pattern the other day that I would have bought, but I'm from Canada.I respect their decision, and I know that it costs more to ship to Canada, but I would have willingly paid the extra cost.
Just wondering.................
Great Question, great discussion! Thank you for asking, I was wondering the same thing.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM

My buyers have never had problems with US money orders and sometimes I have sent hidden US cash and it always arrived safely.I am happy to say I have had good service buying from my American friends and will keep on doing so.I rarely find someone who won't ship to Canada and if I do I figure its there choice.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 PM

When I am ordering from the USA, I try to remember to state USPS and then our PO will figure any duty or taxes to be paid for a flat $5 fee. UPS is set up to be the broker and then the fees are more like $30 plus duty and taxes. Yikes.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Hi there, just a suggestion - you may want to use a package forwarding service if you find items you want shipped to Canada. It's so much easier. This way you can buy any item in the US without running into this problem. MyUS.com is good and have been around for awhile. Simply speaking, they provide you with a U.S. address, all your items are shipped there and you can consolidate your purchases into smaller packages for cheaper shipping. This way you aren't limited on what can and cannot ship to international addresses. Here's a special discount code for you to use to get 15% off your first shipment. Hope that helps! http://myus2.myus.com/programs/main/...kd=&id=1001517
Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 AM

Shipping to Canada in a package under 13 ozs is simple and doesn't require one of those custom forms & cost isn't bad but if you use a priority envelope for Canada and overseas shipping the cost is faily high
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 AM

My son-in-law and his wife are living in Canada while he goes to school, and she runs into a lot of that - stores that won't ship to Canada. So she has them sent to my address and I send it on. I send all their Christmas/Birthday, etc through the mail as well. We've never had any problem and I haven't noticed anymore hassle sending to them than when I send things to my Navy family in other countries. As long as both parties understand about cost and agree on the method of shipping, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM

I ship anywhere. I figure it may be cheaper to ship than to pay regular price in Canada and Australia.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Great conversation. I too am disappointed sometimes when it's "shipping to US only". But, I totally understand. This is personal buying/selling & that most of us are not the big business. When I see something I want to purchase I always, regardless of what the seller posts, (unless they clearly state "US only"), PM first asking if they ship to Canada. I am never in a hurry & always respect those that ask if they can get back to me regarding the shipping costs. This is the best communication! I have fun on this board & want to keep it cordial. A great place to be!
Maureen
Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 AM

I guess what the seller wants to do is up to him/her .
I ship my batik all over the world - yes, it's more work to print out all the customs forms, attach the plastic envelope to the package and insert the forms, but people from all over the world need batik......don't they???!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 AM

I have never shipped to Canada but have purchased things off Ebay from Canadians. I have no problem paying higher cost for them to mail item to me if I really want it. Never had any problems. Communication is the key!