Cat lover or not....

Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM

I am a rescuer/foster for felines (of over 14 years). What you did was right, period. His response was out of line and hateful.

His video should be plenty of proof as to the identity of the littering cat(s). Although it is likely the camera is a fake and only has a red light that works. Otherwise he must be made of money to afford such devices or a techy.

IF I were your neighbor (and this is truly hypothetical - as my pets are fully "contained" on my property) and I was worried about my neighbor trapping my cat, I would be eager to share pics of my cats with the trapping neighbor so they knew which ones were mine.

And as for you . . . keep (humanely) trapping the cats that trespass and if you want to be kind to your neighbor, take the trapped cat to him each time and say, "Found this guy in my trap while I was seeking out neighborhood strays." But no apology needed. After a few days of returning his cats, he might need a new strategy as his cats are obviously not reading the sign that clearly says they should stay out of the cat nappers yard (read sarcasm).

He (and his cat) are lucky I am not their neighbor. I would have taken the trapped cat to a feral TNR (Trap-Neuter-Release) program affiliated veterinarian for surgery and ear notching! Imagine his surprise when his cat returns home a day later and has it’s belly shaved and unique ear!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I'm ornery enough I would put a sign up in MY yard saying, D**n right, keep your animals home.

And I have 3 dogs and 5 cats.
Love this!

In my neighborhood they don't trap cats. They poison them with antifreeze. You at least were humane!

I think you behaved appropriately. Especially after he assured you his cats wouldn't be in your yard. In all seriousness I would continue to trap and ignore his childish behavior.

House pets belong in the house.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
Originally Posted by jpthequilter
and...Once i lived where we had thick paper garbage cans because of a biting fly problem..
there were two dogs who would bite holes in the bottoms of them and scatter the garbage on my carport...
SO for a week I put chicken skins bones, ect. in an aluminum foil pan beside the bag..one day I laced the scraps with extreme HOT sauce. (Mclehenny's) The dog gobbled it up, and went howling home.
After that the dog just passed my place, with its nose in
the air, and never stopped in my yard again.
Wonder if it would work the same way with cats and hot sauce and catnip laced hamburger.? (The catnip is to make sure they ate some...) J
That I think was a cruel thing to do, after all it's not the dogs fault their humans are not looking after them?
Please re read her post...She said the dogs bit holes in the garbage bags. She did not deliberately feed chicken bones to the dogs. She laced it with hot sauce to send them away.
She did deliberately feed them in a foil pan, then laced the food with hot sauce and hurt the dogs. I know they made a mess of her garbage cans, but that is no reason to be cruel. She would have been better of tracing the owners down and complain.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

i've had cats all my life, they NEVER go outside unlewss they are on a leash, or in a hugh cage. i open my windows for themto see out in the nice weather. they have their own bathroom,
i will not let my cat out for frea somethning will happento them.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 AM

and...Once i lived where we had thick paper garbage cans because of a biting fly problem..
there were two dogs who would bite holes in the bottoms of them and scatter the garbage on my carport...
SO for a week I put chicken skins bones, ect. in an aluminum foil pan beside the bag..one day I laced the scraps with extreme HOT sauce. (Mclehenny's) The dog gobbled it up, and went howling home.
Wonder if it would work the same way with cats and hot sauce and catnip laced hamburger.? (The catnip is to make sure they ate some...) J
That I think was a cruel thing to do, after all it's not the dogs fault their humans are not looking after them?
Please re read her post...She said the dogs bit holes in the garbage bags. She did not deliberately feed chicken bones to the dogs. She laced it with hot sauce to send them away.
She did deliberately feed them in a foil pan, then laced the food with hot sauce and hurt the dogs. I know they made a mess of her garbage cans, but that is no reason to be cruel. She would have been better of tracing the owners down and complain.
Not trying to stir up trouble, but I think that is a matter of opinion. Nobody is any bigger animal lover than I am but enough is enough when someone else's animal causes you grief. What is mean is the owner to just let their dogs run loose. I have 3 large dogs, who live in the house. When they are out to do their business or whatever, they stay home and do not wander. I do not have a fenced in yard, but they know where their boundaries are.

I know what peoples house pets can do when they run wild. If you've ever had to put up with peoples *house pets* bringing down a 500 pound calf and disemboweling it, you would change your mind. We had this problem several years ago when a subdivision sprang up near us. We had 5 calves killed by *house pets* in a 2 week period. Like I said, enough is enough. People still need to take responsibility for their animals.

Sorry PatriceJ, I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but I'm a farm gal who unfortunately understands the realities of life.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Put your own sign up in your yard
TIRED OF HIS CATS USING MY YARD FOR A LITTER BOX

Even if he doesn't take his down, from embarassment, this will let all your neighbors know who the real problem is.

Oh don't forget the arrow!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Not trying to stir up trouble, but I think that is a matter of opinion. Nobody is any bigger animal lover than I am but enough is enough when someone else's animal causes you grief. What is mean is the owner to just let their dogs run loose. I have 3 large dogs, who live in the house. When they are out to do their business or whatever, they stay home and do not wander. I do not have a fenced in yard, but they know where their boundaries are.

I know what peoples house pets can do when they run wild. If you've ever had to put up with peoples *house pets* bringing down a 500 pound calf and disemboweling it, you would change your mind. We had this problem several years ago when a subdivision sprang up near us. We had 5 calves killed by *house pets* in a 2 week period. Like I said, enough is enough. People still need to take responsibility for their animals.

Sorry PatriceJ, I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but I'm a farm gal who unfortunately understands the realities of life.
Sorry, didn't mean to upset anyone, have had my own share of problems with other peoples pets, have always been able to get it sorted. Perhaps I've just been luckier then some. I'm just one of those silly people that feeds strays and try and find homes for them. Can't stand cruelty to animals. But that's me. I've also had my pet sheep Ernie killed by a someone's pet, but dogs do what dogs do and it's the owners fault, not the dog's. I fully understand that farm people have a different point of view, after all your lively hood is at stake. Can we just agree to disagree? Kind regards, Dea (naive city gran)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Did the guy get his cat back? That would be my first question. Cats are free spirits, they aren't required to be on leashes, so the guy shouldn't have told you his cats didn't come to your yard. They can.

Just remember it's not the cat's fault. I think I'd be ticked off too that you didn't at least check to see if the cat was his before bringing it to the police. Then you would have proven that the cats come into your yard because you trapped one and I would have then let it go into the care of it's owner.

When I was a kid, my cat used to frequent my neighbor's sandbox for their kid (who was my best friend). We share our surroundings with all the critters. Deal with it.