Cats

Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 AM

After owning several of each sex, I prefer the fixed females. As so many of you are saying about the fixed males spraying, we had that trouble with our fixed males, but not with the females! I prefer the fixed females in my house!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-259543.png  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 AM

Love female cats and dogs
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 AM

I think for the most part females are more loving; Tom cats want to roam. I have cats and dogs; a male and female of each. With my dogs and cats the females are the loving ones.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:54 AM

I have one each, both neutered. Female is more laid back and stays inside mostly. Male is a real hunter and prefers outside.
I tend to enjoy the females most.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 AM

We used to take in rescue Dobermans and a couple of rescue cats, at the same time. They got along so well that when we went on vacation and boarded them, one cat, Zabo, stayed with his best buddy Kurt, while Warlock stayed with his best buddy, our feeble minded Hilda, who was a huge, picture perfect Dobe..but with not too much smarts. The vet was horrified and made me put the cats in with the dogs myself and just stood there, shaking his head. In fact, Zabo was more savage towards strangers than the dogs were!!! Our nice vet wound up with a knee-jerk reaction to black cats just because of Zabo!!

Yes, dogs and cats CAN get along, sometimes better than humans.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

We had a momma kitty who was just that to my kids while they were growing up, but we knew she was a one of a kind cat for sure. She would watch my kids like a hawk and let me know if they were doing something wrong while I was cooking or whatever around the house.
While the kids would nap, she & I would sew.. LOL more I would sew/quilt and she would lay on the material and watch !LOL
Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
I think for the most part females are more loving; Tom cats want to roam. I have cats and dogs; a male and female of each. With my dogs and cats the females are the loving ones.
------------------------------
Take all critters to the vet and get them fixed. They will be more willing to stay at home, and mine are strictly house cats.
There's a big Siamese tom who comes around and backs up to my screen door and lets go..ruined the paint on it. I was going to catch him and visit the vet...but haven't seen him in a few months lately...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 AM

I have a fixed female. I have had both, but having worked as a vet tech (long ago), I prefer females because I don't have to worry about spraying or bladder blockages. That is definitely not to say that male cats aren't loving.

I had one male that used to entertain himself with this plastic bead. He used to put it in his mouth, spit it out and chase it, then pick it up with his paw and start over again.

My MIL had both dogs and cats and they got along.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I've had both. The boys seem to be more docile than the girls.
I have to agree...I have both but my males kitties always seem to be more tolerate of lifes ups & downs and much more loving, where my female kitties could be just as loving but turn on ya in a heart beat in the form of a good scratch.
Try to find out as much past history as possible and please make sure whichever you decide on to have it fixed...they make much better pets afterwards and tend to stay close to home if you plan on the cat being indoor/outdr cat.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 AM

I grew up with cats -- all my life -- my mother had 13 cats (at the most) one time. I married a "dog" man. So I had dogs for years and no cats. I prefer cats. They're more independent....can be left for a few days by themselves and don't drag in dirt -- well, not as much as a dog. I always had female cats and dogs --- hated what males would do (heisting/spraying/humping). SO, remarried -- he's a cat person. Went to humane society and got 2 males!!! They had been fixed by laser at 2 months 2 lbs. NEVER have had any of those problems with these guys. They're tuxedo cats --- black and white and let me tell you, they have more personality than ANY cat I've EVER had!!!

As for males more docile ---- well, one of my males just may be gay -- he's rather efiminate!!!! One is a brute and the other is my hugger/loveable boy. :) :)
If your son wants a cat -- go for it!!! The more the merrier!