Cats

Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 AM

I have always had cats - both male and female. I don't think you can decide which gender is more loving - it comes down to the cats personality.

Two of the cats I have right now are litter mates (1 boy and 1 girl). The girl likes to lay on the couch next to you and have you put your hand on her, but don't pet her. The boy likes to lay on your lap and be pet. He also loves to be picked up and tipped upside down, the girl, not so much. But I also have another girl that is my shadow. She follows me everywhere and loves, loves, loves to be pet and held. Just depends on the cat.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 AM

I have both a dog and 2 cats and it's all girl household. I have had both male and female dogs and cats and find that I prefer female cats even though I have had some wonderful males. The males had usually been outside (barn cats). When finding the right cat, you need to pay attention to the cat's personality. Some are standoffish and some are very loving. I had one named Pester that always wanted to be held. But, there are some cats that want to be left alone. Get the right cat and you will have a Friend. Check out the picture of my spoiled Friend. When I have ice cream, I will leave some on the stick and hold it for her. It's funny to watch her.

Kallie loves to share ice cream
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259664[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-259611.jpe  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 AM

Have your son play with more than one cat/kitten. Help hime to choose different types, and after that he will have a feeling of the bond he wants with his cat. The two will mesh their personalities. An aloof cat may just want to sit and be petted, the overachiever may want to play and run. There will likely be one cat that stands out as the best match. Have whichever sex neutered and there is not much difference overall. Just different personalities for each animal.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 AM

I've only had female cats....
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 AM

I have had many cats and the males are more affectionate, my females always had to be cornered to pet.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

i have a little girl Zoey, she's fixed, very feminine, loves collars and jewerly. she has a rhinestone neclace, real pink pearl neclace and a pink suede collar with flowers and a tag. Sometimes, she wears scrunchies. when i tell her i made her a pretty,she sits still while i put it on her. she a big lap sitter, and loves to play. she's about 1 yr. 4 months, and also loves to box, and play belly rubs. she sleeps under the blankets with me and dh. i've had male and female, and you can't tell the diff, but Zoey is the first to act girly.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 AM

I have had both...seems to me the males are more affectionate. We always have ours neutered so there has never been a problem with a male and "spraying". Peach is an "indoor" cat. He is just so much fun and he and the dog are fast friends. I hope you will get him a kitty. They are really easy care!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM

I've had female and male cats and, personally, perfer females. Would add you may want to consider a local animal shelter to adopt a kitten from. They often are already spayed/neutered and given some of the shots, testing done.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
Have your son play with more than one cat/kitten. Help hime to choose different types, and after that he will have a feeling of the bond he wants with his cat. The two will mesh their personalities. An aloof cat may just want to sit and be petted, the overachiever may want to play and run. There will likely be one cat that stands out as the best match. Have whichever sex neutered and there is not much difference overall. Just different personalities for each animal.
I agree. It is just like selecting a puppy, try to match their personalities (child and pet).
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Yes we would look at the local shelters. Now I need to convince my husband lol.