Cats

Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM

You've probably heard it all by now, but couldn't resist adding another note. We have had cats all my life. At first on the ranch they were the outdoor type. Once married we had indoor cats. I learned:
1. If you get a male, have it neutered. If not they will spray and have a good chance of getting aggressive/possessive if they are kept indoors.
2. If you have a female, get it neutered. They are less likely to be queen bees although they will always have "attitude". Females will (usually) adapt to family and being kept indoors if you get them as kits. I've brought a number of stray females into the house, they have already developed their habits and seem more like loners than team players...a bit antisocial. Not bad, but not the lap cat type.
3. Keep them inside if possible. My vet explained that cats can get heart worms as well as dogs, particularly if they are outside where they can get mosquito bites.
4. Sometimes two are better than one, especially if everyone in your house is gone during the day. A symptom is crying/talking a lot. But then, some cats like to chat. My daughter has one she raised since it was 4 days old. He talks to her constantly -- especially when she's on the phone.
5. They are great critters. Every single one has a distinct personality. Before you get one, spend some time with it/several to see which fits your family best. They seem to pick their people so be prepared!
6. Enjoy!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM

I've had both. I think the neutered male cat is friendlier.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts
I have had dogs all of my life. Currently I have Angel and Daisy. Angel is a bassett/lab mix. She is about 12 years old. And Daisy, a poodle, 5 years old. I love them and good to have around.

My son is four and doesn't play with them much. But he seems to love cats. I had a cat when I grew up and had a couple once when I was on my own. We visited Petco today, and Andrew just loves looking at the cats there that are for adoption. I am thinking that maybe it is time to get a cat for him to enjoy. But I have told him that in the past that we weren't getting anymore animals until the dogs are gone.

Those of you that have cats, do you prefer female or male? I have always loved female dogs more then males. Just curious about the cats.

Wendy

I think orange striped males are the most dog-like in personality. (my vet sees the personality difference too) My female cats have always been pretty clingy and demanding but the orange males have been tolerant of gentle kids and like following my grandsons around.....
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Definitely female...they don't spray.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM

We have had indoor cats (3) over the last 12 years, all three together for several years. Currently only have one male left. Two were males, one female. If you get a female you will never have to worry about a male changing his habits and starting to mark territory, but any cat may have accidents around the house if the litter box gets yucky (thank goodness mine were never fussy!), or if they get a UTI. Our female was the most cuddly, lovey cat you'd ever want to meet. All were cast offs. DON'T go to a pet store. Find a shelter cat. They will be so happy to have you come there and spend plenty of time getting to know all the cats before you make a decision, and like our female, KatyKat, who was 2 years old, one will probably choose you.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM

I prefer female cats as they do not spray. I have had a few mail cats which I love dearly however I think females have better tempraments. Male cats tend to be spoiled little boys and I say this after having several male cats in my life. With dogs in the house I would definatly recommend getting a kitten. I think adult animals have instincts about babies and are more patient so they grow up with better relationships.

My daughter was a dog person trapped in a cat person family. I believe in the unconditional love relationships between kids and pets so we got her a dog. It was one of the best things I ever did for her.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:48 PM

I have found over the years that getting just one cat does not work as well as when getting 2 cats. They need a companion to play with! I always recommend getting them in pairs.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM

I had male cats at the same time I had dogs, and they sprayed there territory. Now have 2 dogs and a female, and she is loving and it's my male dog that marks his territory.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Dee

I have always had male cats.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Kas

Male cats are more prone to urinary infections, I think. I have always thought males were sweeter, but our Abby was a love bug and had to be on you or carried around. Our Penny (Who Me? Kitty) is like that, too. She talks to you and just wants loving. Chloe (Bad Kitty) is only affectionate on her own terms. She hates being picked up, but likes being petted when she is on the ground. Be aware, too, that some shelters won't adopt out to homes with small children. We had to get manager approval because Ben is only 6. But he is so gentle with cats (doesn't like dogs) and he won them over. Let the kitty pick you.