Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cell Phone Newbie Questions >

Cell Phone Newbie Questions

Cell Phone Newbie Questions

Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I used my nieces phone last weekend and I didn't like those tiny little buttons on her's either. If you try and use a stylus on her's, it would tear up the rubbery coating I think.

I found that my cell phones needed various charging times for the first charge. My last one was fully charged :roll: I wonder if they said 5 hours just in case it was completely discharged?

I haven't heard a lot of good feedback regarding customer service with prepaid phones. From what I have seen and heard it is limited, and some even get charged minutes to talk to a customer service representative. Have you tried going to their website to get your questions answered?
I've never had trouble with Virgin Mobile's customer service, which has the option of toll-free number, their website, e-mail, or Facebook. They're quick, friendly, and very good at fixing what few things I've had any difficulty with with them. I have no qualms about recommending them if you don't want to get stuck with a service contract. When I decided that, yes, I needed a cell phone, my income was erratic enough that a contract would have been a very bad thing. I could switch at this point, but feel no desire to. I don't use my cell phone much and Virgin Mobile's been fine for my needs.

Tracfone, on the other hand, is HIDEOUS. It took me six calls in three days to get voice-mail working, reps were too locked into their scripts (probably due to poor English skills, which were painfully evident) to really listen, they contradicted each other and observable facts, etc. A friend of mine recently had a Tracfone inflicted on her by her mother (who bought the phone, but stuck her daughter with periodic airtime purchases when said daughter is on a VERY tight budget), and her experience with their lack of customer service matches mine.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM

A ringing phone is not an issue. It will be off at all times except when I'm using it.

Hm, guess that won't work. I will need it on when I'm at home, but that will mean recharging the battery almost daily. How do you all manage?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 PM

I keep my charger plugged in close to where I spend most of my sitting time. That way I have it handy, but keep it charged too. Before I had it as my primary phone, I kept the charger by the front door so I could grab my phone on my way out.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM

I have a car charger and plug mine in overnight periodically or when I'm driving farther than just around town.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 AM

I just made a quilted cell phone holder with a neck strap for my niece who is paralyzed. She is bedridden and often could not reach her phone if it slipped or was moved by nursing attendents. I used pre-quilted fabric, and just made it to fit. My GD thought it was a pretty neat idea . And that statement about teen age boys and how they treat their phones, so very very true!!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM

try using the eraser on a pencil. It is usually small enough for most keys. Or you can go to game stop and purchase a stylist.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Personally, I don't like telephones at all, but do realize that
at some time they are vitally necessary. Since I'm a widow and
live alone, drive alone anywhere I please, I find that a Triple A
card with 100 mile towing, and a cell phone are about all I need.

I have a Trac phone, which I love. I drop it, the cat pushes it off
the shelf, I lose it in my purse, and sometimes have to call it from
the land phone to be able to find it before I leave the house.

I bought this phone about 3 years ago, and with it got over a year's
worth of minutes, all this for about 129.00. And each year on that
date I buy another 20 or 30 dollar card so I can punch in the number,
it goes over to another year, plus the left over minutes roll over too.
You can get these at Walmart or grocery stores, they are everywhere.

Since I have a hearing problem, I've found that I can turn up the sound
on this cell, and use it when calling my out of state kids and grandkids.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 PM

caught my puppy trying to eat mine has slipped out of my hands droped out of the car when getting out steped on lost in the recliner yep it still workes just fine i even got mad at my ex once and threw it across the room and it still worked they make them perty good now days once i even left mine on the hood of the car as i was driving away my mwireless head set lost conection so i went back to find it i ran over that one andit still worked for the rest of the year not everone is as hard on them as i am i have memory and grip trouble so you shouldn't have trouble watch out for the roaming cost wallmart charges double minuets for roaming pepaid are expensive i would pay the deposit for a contract service good luck with yours now you can always be found
Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

The battery will last longer if you let it go dead and then fully recharge it. I was told recharging the battery a little at a time will shorten the battery life. You don't have to keep the phone to have the same service. Buy a phone you like that is compatible with your SIM card and put card in it.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

the phone is fine in your purse, just make sure you lock your buttons on the phone while in your purse or pocket. Penny