Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Change in how they treat croup >

Change in how they treat croup

Change in how they treat croup

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Then how come it helped when we put them in the hot steamy bathroom back when my boys had it?
I can't imagine that croup has changed...back then the cool air seemed to make it worse...
Since I had 1 who responded to cold and 1 to hot, I really think it depends on the child, but when you think about the physiology, it is inflammation and swelling that causes croup, and when you have an ankle that is swollen from an injury you use cold to reduce the swelling, so cold moistness makes sense. Interesting thing is that the same thing that causes croup in kids causes laryngitis in adults. I guess you just have to go with what works best for your child. But, I think that knowing what I know now, that I would try the cold first. Either way, it is always better to listen to your pediatrician.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Then how come it helped when we put them in the hot steamy bathroom back when my boys had it?
I can't imagine that croup has changed...back then the cool air seemed to make it worse...
Since I had 1 who responded to cold and 1 to hot, I really think it depends on the child, but when you think about the physiology, it is inflammation and swelling that causes croup, and when you have an ankle that is swollen from an injury you use cold to reduce the swelling, so cold moistness makes sense. Interesting thing is that the same thing that causes croup in kids causes laryngitis in adults. I guess you just have to go with what works best for your child. But, I think that knowing what I know now, that I would try the cold first. Either way, it is always better to listen to your pediatrician.
With 2 boys, we were in the emergency room all the time...either sick or hurt! The one with the asthma is the one that responded the least, now that I'm really thinking back 20+years. I just did what the Dr. said...
Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 PM

One of my daughters was born with Asthma, and when her temp got up well over 100 and she was gasping for breath, I put her in a cool bath till it went down. Then, in the early 1960s, the Air Force doctors did tell us to use the warm, moist air. I remember sitting over a pot of steaming water with a sheet over my head with the baby gasping for breath under it with me.

Coffee was our first line of defense, no milk, just a little sugar. It seemed to help, as did chamomile and comfrey tea my Grandma suggested. Daughter's now 51, still has Asthma, I'll suggest she try the freezer bit when she has an attack.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
One of my daughters was born with Asthma, and when her temp got up well over 100 and she was gasping for breath, I put her in a cool bath till it went down. Then, in the early 1960s, the Air Force doctors did tell us to use the warm, moist air. I remember sitting over a pot of steaming water with a sheet over my head with the baby gasping for breath under it with me.

Coffee was our first line of defense, no milk, just a little sugar. It seemed to help, as did chamomile and comfrey tea my Grandma suggested. Daughter's now 51, still has Asthma, I'll suggest she try the freezer bit when she has an attack.
Just remember, Asthma and croup are not the same thing. The cold air can trigger an asthma attack for some folks. Asthma is caused by airway constriction. I think that it triggers attacks for some folks because cold constricts or shrinks.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

When my son had it many years ago- the docs said try the shower if that didn't work take him outside - start warm :wink: LOL

But seriously- it is not something to second guess - always consult a doctor
Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM

My now 29 year old son had croup twice a year like clock work from the time he was 1 until he was 4. He would feel it coming on and would cry and say "I'm getting the cough". Broke my heart.

Back those many yeas ago I was told to take him outside in the cold air. It was especially good if the air was misty. So that's what we did, worked really well.

We rushed him to emergency the first time he got it too, worse thing ever!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 PM

When I get broncitus ,I can usally breath better if I go outside in the cold air,it helps me stop couphingfor alittle while
Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 PM

Oh you poor thing, I went through that with my youngest. Its horrible when your child cant breathe. We spent hours in the bathroom with the shower on. I was afraid to sleep...oh gosh, I feel for you and your son. My sons now 17 and he has mild asthma only in the winter time. The cold air actually bothers his breathing. He's always been a little weird, thats why we love him!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
When my son had it many years ago- the docs said try the shower if that didn't work take him outside - start warm :wink: LOL

But seriously- it is not something to second guess - always consult a doctor
Absolutely!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Kas

Been on the porch many a night. And it is so scary when that doesn't work. My daughter had the flu when she was three and developed what they called "strider". She was trying so hard to breathe that her tummy was sucking in almost flat. Very, very scary. And I was pregnant with Ben. She was so scared at the hospital. They kept us over night and she would only sleep with me, not in the hospital crib. She slept, I didn't. I was so worried and uncomfortable with my big belly and trying not to move so I didn't wake her. She didn't get a shot, but they nubulized her.